29. WICKED

The storm stopped and the square opened to reveal a holographic screen. They saw Janson with his rat smile.

"Congratulations, you finished the third trial," he said, smiling brighter than ever. "Unfortunately Thomas didn't survive and without our number one candidate, we can't get the cure. But there is still hope and it's you, Miss Lale. We want you to come to our headquarters and give us your brain. Unfortunately, you won't survive the surgery but at the end we will have the cure. A flat trans for you will appear in ten seconds, the others are welcomed to join you."

"You shucking shuck-face!" yelled Minho.

Salsa froze. They wanted to kill her- kill her instead of Thomas because he died too quickly, and it was all her fault. She couldn't save him and even if she did, they would still kill him.

"Let the others go, you don't need them," said Salsa.

"Miss Lale," Jason glanced at her.

"I'll go to you but let them go, send a berg over here. It should have only one pilot and he'll go through the flat trans with me. They go free. That's my condition," she looked Janson in the eyes.

He sighed. "Miss Lale..."

Janson suddenly turned around as he heard a voice. He wasn't smiling anymore when he turned back to them.

"Fine. The berg will land in a few minutes," he said.

Than the holographic screen faded.

"You can't do it. We already lost Thomas, we can't lose you," Brenda started to cry again.

"Listen, you need to get Newt. He's in the Crank Palace in Denver. Promise me you'll take him with you and help him stay human as long as he can," she looked at her three companions.

"We will," Minho grasped her shoulder. "I promise."

"Minho, if there's no other choice..." she took the paper out of her pocket and handed it to him. "That's Newt's last will, he gave it to Thomas."

Minho nodded and hid the letter.

"Take Newt and go to my house in Washington. Jorge, you know where it is, you can defend yourself there for a long time," her gaze swept over them. "Goodbye, my friends. Tell Newt that I love him and that... he'll be fine," she whispered to Brenda when she hugged her. "And I'm so sorry I couldn't save Thomas."

"It's okay, you did your best and I will too," Brenda looked at her.

They heard the flying machine landing on top of the tower. The pilot left the berg as Minho, Brenda and Jorge went to the ramp.

The group looked at Salsa one last time then the ramp closed and Jorge started the engines. The berg flew up into the night sky.

"Ready?" asked the pilot, looking at Salsa.

She nodded and took one last glance over the city. It reminded her of her first kiss with Newt at the sunset. Just then, the first lights of the new day appeared on the sky. Salsa felt the pain.

"For Thomas," she whispered and entered the flat trans.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The WICKED headquarters was quiet. She met only a few people on her way. Janson was waiting in a small gray room with a desk and a typewriter fed with paper in it.

"You can shower and change into fresh clothes. You'll get a proper last meal too. Here's the opportunity to write some letters to your friends, or to Newt," Janson looked at her as he placed an extra accent on the last name.