14. Goodbye

"I'm sorry, it must be shocking news," muttered Chancellor Paige.

"I knew," Salsa didn't recognize her own voice. "I knew, he infected my dog and I had to take it down."

"Good that you're immune, otherwise you would be dead after all you did with him," Chancellor Paige smiled for the first time.

Salsa tried to ignore her last comment.

Janson gave the groups two hours to think and make a decision before leaving the room. He appeared in the hall where Salsa and Chancellor Paige were standing.

"Shocked, sad, mad?" he asked.

"She knew already," said Chancellor Paige.

"Oh," Janson's smile faded. "So are you going with Group D? It might be the only way to rescue your little boyfriend. If we succeed with this part of the trials, we'll have the cure."

His rat smile came back again.

"I want to see your data, the real ones. I want to know if you're really close, if there's any hope for the cure to be found soon. You must prove it to me before I agree on anything," Salsa looked at the both of them.

"This is our private data," muttered Janson.

"Show her," Chancellor Paige seemed mad. "Come with me."

Salsa looked through the glass one more time. Newt wasn't crying, he just sat there and stared at the wall. Minho and Thomas tried to comfort him but they looked like they were broken too.

She followed Janson and Paige to a huge room filled with people working next to bright screens.

"Put all our results on the main screen," ordered Chancellor Paige.

Someone did as she said and a second later, Janson started to explain the scans of brain activities as well as the map that appeared on the screen.

"There are these three points," he pointed at three blue spots on a picture of a brain. "That we need to get filled in. These three and we're done. We have the mixture ready, and we need these three components out of the 12,000 we already have."

He looked proud of their accomplishments.

"So why do you need me?" she asked.

"We need Thomas alive and this is the most difficult trial ever. You're the master of survival, Miss Lale. We all know that he has the cure in his brain," Janson looked at her. "And by the way, look at this."

Another brain scan appeared on the screen. "It's Newt's brain, because of the circumstances he's in, the virus is working in his brain quicker than in any other living being, and so is the sickness," Janson looked at Paige.

"How much time does he have till he crosses the border?" Salsa tried to keep her voice steady.

"I'm not sure, two weeks, maybe three," said Janson. "If you'll finish the third trial in two weeks, or less, than there is a huge chance to rescue him."

"How can I know that if you get the cure, you'll give it to him?" asked Salsa.

"I give you my word for it," Chancellor Paige looked at her. "And you know that I keep my word."

"Let's say that I agree to it, I'll keep Thomas alive and you keep Newt alive. I think it's a fair deal," Salsa looked at Paige.

"Deal," the woman nodded.

"So if every doubt is cleared, I'll bring you to Group D to discuss the mission," Janson looked at Salsa.

"Sure," she looked at Paige once more and left the room.