Rouges

A growl echoed through the yard, freezing everyone to their places. No body moved. The growl ran through me, vibrating my entire nature. A dirty, mangled, large, black wolf stepped out of the forest, that surrounded the barbeque. Growls erupted around us, the children quivered and huddled behind me in fear. Someone growled back, accepting the challenge of being threatened, threatening our children, the pack. I hadn't realized that the growl came from me.

Our pack fighters came to the front, standing next to me, while the women slowly gathered their children. Eyes glowed from the forest surrounding us. It was at that time, everything came to a standstill. Time slowed, no body moved, no body breathed.

Silence.

Then chaos.

All at once everyone leaped forward. The women took off running to their house, safety, hiding the children away. The fighters, moving with grace, and shifting into their wolves. I felt useless and vulnerable. I wasn't able to shift. But something inside of me moved me forward, gracing over my body, letting me move like I had never before. My hand shot out, gripping the throat of the wolf, that jumped towards me. With a squeeze of my hand, I crushed his windpipe easily, too easily. I wasn't satisfied. I wanted more. A growl ripped through me, as I took off running, making my way through the forest at an inhumanly speed.

Hot breathe, growls and snapping of jaws sounded behind me. a few wolves followed me, non from my pack. A cruel grin slipped onto my face as a tree with a low branch came into few. I grabbed onto the branch, pulling myself up with ease, and flipping over it, my feet landing on the spine of one of the rouge wolves. I heard a yelp, and felt no more movement. The wolf was gone. Three other wolves stalked up to me. The one with less patience, leaped forward, instinct took over as I fainted to the right. The wolf ran forward, not yet aware as my hand snaked around his hind paw, and dragged him toward me, his growling face, came towards mine. His snarls cut off as his neck sharply and expectantly went to the side.  

He slumped to the ground unmoving. Satisfaction swam through me, as my blood lust died down a little. But I wasn't allowed to relax yet. My connection to Alex thumped in my head, I called out to him, "Alex, I think I need help." I said through our mind link.

Where are you?

"In the forest, there's two of them, I killed three but I don't think I'll be able to hold both of them off." I said as I slowly moved from my crouched position. I took a step back, a golden wolf growled at me, baring his teeth, a black wolf with red tipped ears and paws circled me. My breathe hitched. Mine eyes darting from the trees, to rocks, and behind me. I was aware as the golden wolf leaped, I ducked and the wolf went straight into a tree, knocking him unconscious, maybe even dead from the impact to the skull. But while I was distracted, the red wolf, while she was silent, she was quick.

I felt her claws gaze me as I brought up my knee into her soft underbelly, sending her flying. I saw a flash of dark brown fur, as Alex flew by me, taking advantage of the she-wolfs injury. Her front left leg was injured as she tried to run, circling around the little clearing, Alex chasing after her. I heard a yelp, then a snap of the neck. She landed with an empty thump on the ground, a pile of black and red fur.

I wanted to run to Alex, hug him. Through out the forest I heard victory howls, we had won in defending our pack. I looked to Alex, instead of running to him, I collapsed onto my knees after attempting a single step. A pain, white hot and searing, tore through my stomach, robbing my lungs of oxygen and distorting the world in front of my eyes. The bottom half of my shirt was shredded, strips of cotton glued to my body with a disturbing amount of thick, warm blood. My blood. Blood that I've seen so many times, blood that looked so familiar.