Chapter 11

The civilian doctor ushered Banner into the cubicle where Max lay surrounded by machines, various tubes conveying liquids in and out of his body. The multiple cuts on his face and hands were gradually healing, and the bruises had faded to an ugly yellow.

"Apart from the head injury, he's progressing well. He had a couple of broken ribs, but, as I said, nothing too serious apart from the blow to the skull," advised the doctor.

"May I?" Banner enquired politely. Dr. Patel gave permission for him to examine the monitors, more than happy to share his consultation with the young Medic.

Max looked young and vulnerable lying motionless in the white bed, and Banner touched his face with gentle fingers, rolling one eyelid back to check his reactions for himself. Satisfied that everything possible was being done, he turned to Dr. Patel. "Just a matter of waiting now, isn't it?"

Patel nodded. "I've asked his father to visit as often as possible to talk to him. It's been my experience that comatose patients can respond to external stimuli," he gave Banner a deprecating look. "I know there isn't scientific proof, of course, but I've heard of several cases where the patient has appeared unconscious to all intents and purposes, but has actually been aware of what is happening around them."

Banner listened interestedly. "Really? Have you got time for a cup of coffee? I'd love to hear more about that."

Dr. Patel consulted his wristcom. "Yes, I think I can spare a few minutes. Let's go upstairs to the cafe."

Banner started to follow, then turned back to Max. "Just in case you're on to something ... Max?" He took the boy's hand in a gentle clasp and said clearly, "I need you to get better fast. Alan needs you."

He smiled self-consciously to himself and followed Dr. Patel to the hospital cafe.

~~~

Robin Lang was absolutely furious when he heard Alan Stewart had been released from detention and returned to duty on the Qatar. He glared at Martinez, his hands clenched into fists as he leant forward over the desk. "He's what?"

Captain Martinez looked at him placatingly. "He's not going anywhere. Captain Almeida has given me his parole."

"What if he attacks someone else?" demanded Lang, rather wildly.

"I'm sure Captain Almeida is in control of the situation," Martinez assured him, narrowing his eyes.

"I insist he's brought back and detained under lock and key," Lang demanded, his cheeks flushed. "At least until the preliminary hearing," he added, making an effort to appear more reasonable.

"I honestly don't think that's necessary. Major Fontaine will be the Adjudicator for the case. He's on Oriell at present and I'm not expecting him until next Monday at the earliest." He looked encouragingly at the Captain. "Perhaps Private Lang will be able to speak for himself by then."

The other man didn't yield, his body still tight with anger. "I'll take this higher if I have to."

Martinez looked at him, unsmiling. "Be my guest."

Captain Almeida called Lieutenant Stewart into his quarters. "Captain Lang is demanding that you be returned to detention on Capella," he announced bluntly.

Stewart winced. "No good news on Private Lang, then?"

"No, I'm afraid he's still in a coma." Almeida frowned. He felt he could sympathise to some extent with Lang's pain, but he thought he was letting his feelings overrule his judgement. Not only that, he was offended that apparently Lang didn't trust him to be in control in his own ship. "I've spoken to Captain Martinez. You'll stay here for the moment, but as soon as Major Fontaine arrives on Capella, you'll have to attend a preliminary hearing there. Then it will be up to the Major whether he keeps you in detention until the next hearing or not."

Stewart swallowed. He didn't know if he could face more detention. Last time he had been in his own cell, but this time there was a chance he would be remanded with other prisoners. He wasn't afraid, exactly ‒ he knew he could defend himself if he had to ‒ it was more the confinement and the lack of privacy. The humiliation.

"Have you heard much about Major Fontaine, sir?" The name wasn't familiar to the Lieutenant.

The Captain's eyes blinked for a second. "Uh, well, to be honest, it's not the best news. From what I hear, he doesn't care much for oms." He hastened to add, "I'm sure he'll abide by the facts of the case, just don't expect to get the benefit of any doubt."

He watched Stewart absorb the blow. "I'll come with you, of course, to the hearing, with Major Tremblay."

"Thank you, sir! I appreciate your support." Stewart knew he was lucky that his Captain wasn't prejudiced as so many men were, particularly officers. He only wished his Adjudicator was equally unbiased.

He wondered fleetingly whether he should ask Michael Banner to come forward now. But how could he ask him to sacrifice his career for him? Surely he could put up with a week or two of prison time if he had to. How bad could it be? Max couldn't stay unconscious for ever, could he?

Instantly he felt guilty. Difficult as everything was, at least he was alive and conscious, not in hospital like Max. But the thought didn't help as much as he thought it should.