Chapter 18

A very tall man dressed entirely in black stepped into his booth. Lang shuddered involuntarily. It was all he could do to hold himself back, to stop from leaping for his throat. Fortunately, the other man took the quiver as a sign of anticipation.

"Come!" He turned and left the cubicle, leading the way to a private room in the back, not looking to see if the other man followed. He knew he would. He always had before.

As soon as the tall man locked the door behind them, Lang flung his arm around his neck, pulling him hard against his chest, a stunner pressing into his throat. For a wild moment, the man thought it was part of the game they played. But not for long.

"You attacked my son," Lang hissed into his ear. "If you want to live a few more minutes, you'll tell me the name of the man who was with you."

"I don't think so, Captain Lang," the tall man spoke deliberately, satisfied by the small intake of breath as Lang realised he knew his identity. He spoke in the same commanding tone that he used when he was ordering Lang to submit to him.

"Put the stunner down, right now, and get your hands off me!"

Lang wavered for an instant, battling the conditioned response to yield to the other man's authority. He tried to clear his thoughts, he had to get this right or Master would call his bluff. He must know Lang wouldn't kill him until he had the second man's name.

"This isn't a stunner, it's a laser," he lied. The tall man couldn't see the weapon, he could only feel it, pressing into his flesh. "I can take your ears off first if you like, then your nose," Lang continued threateningly. "It will be like slicing off a piece of meat. I wonder how many cuts it will take before you bleed to death?"

He slid the barrel of the stunner up to a spot behind the man's right ear. "Last chance. His name?"

"Ron Pearce," the name was ground out. "But it won't do you any good. He'll squash you like a bug. You and your son," he added vindictively.

"I doubt it. In any case, you won't be around to see it." Lang said, as he shot him. He was pretty sure it was the weapon he'd set for 'stun.'

~~~

Alan Stewart smiled at Banner across the table. They were in a small restaurant that specialised in fresh seafood from the seas of Moonta. Everything had been wonderful so far: the food, the conversation, the fact that Banner had got leave and was finally here with him, for two whole days. He cherished hopes that it would get even more wonderful. Well, he'd never know if he didn't ask. "When we get back to the hotel, can I come in for awhile? I'd really like to kiss you."

Banner's heart was pounding. He liked Alan so much, he'd have to take the plunge sometime. He smiled back. "All right." He was sure Alan wouldn't hurt him. Almost certain, really.

The Lieutenant made himself finish his lemon tart and drink his cup of coffee. He could hardly grab Michael and run out of the restaurant.

They walked back to the hotel, Stewart realising that the other man was growing more and more tense the nearer they got. He leant over and licked his ear, surprising Banner into a laugh. That was better. "Relax. I said kiss and I meant kiss. No heavy stuff tonight, I promise." He put his arm around him and pulled him tight against his side. "I know it's going to take you a while to trust again, but all you have to say, any time you don't like what I do, is 'Alan, stop'. I promise I won't be offended, and I will stop."

Banner looked up, wanting desperately to believe him.

They came to a halt outside his hotel door. "Can I come in or would you rather come to my room?" Stewart asked, wanting Banner to feel as comfortable as possible.

"My room. I have some Orion brandy," Banner replied. He needed a drink! He was wound tight as a drum with a mixture of fear and anticipation.

"Sounds good," Stewart said, following him inside. He sat on the couch, stretching out his legs, and watched while the other man got the drinks. Banner handed him a plasglas and sat down rather stiffly next to him. In one smooth action, Stewart reached over and drew him against his side, draping one arm over his shoulders. "Ah, that's better."

He sipped his drink, waiting for Banner to relax a fraction. He turned his head sideways and licked his ear again, then stuck his tongue inside and blew a raspberry.

Banner pulled away, laughing. "Stop it, Alan, you idiot!"

Stewart stopped, smiling. "See how easy it is? Now you can kiss me."

Banner stared at him. Alan had done that on purpose. He hadn't intended to say 'stop', but Alan had listened to him anyway. God, he loved him. He gulped, where had that thought come from?

Alan was waiting, watching him with a small smile on his face.

Banner leant forward and kissed him hard. Alan opened his mouth immediately, eagerly accepting his thrusting tongue, one hand tangling in his hair, the other stroking his back. Gradually, Alan slid down backwards onto the couch, drawing Banner down with him, so that Banner was lying on top. Banner tried to remember the last time he had been allowed to be on top, but he couldn't. He could feel the hard muscles of Alan's chest through the thin cotton of his shirt, the heat of his body, and wished that he had the courage to slip his hands inside, touch his bare skin.

Instead, he stroked him through the shirt, his other hand cupping the side of his face. He kissed Alan harder and felt his erection pressing firmly against the top of his thigh, even through the layers of material between them. He wriggled slightly to get in a more comfortable position and Alan's eyes almost rolled back in his head.

Now Alan would take control, he thought resignedly ‒ he was almost aroused enough himself not to mind. But Alan stayed right where he was. "If you keep doing that," he protested rather breathlessly, "I'm going to have to go and change my clothes."

Banner smirked. Another first. He couldn't remember smirking, either. It was a heady sensation to be the one with the power to make his lover come, just by lying on top of him, fully clothed. "Would this be what they call a dry hump?" he asked in false innocence.

"I don't know why! Believe me, there won't be anything dry about it!"

Banner snorted with laughter.

Stewart smiled up at him. This was what he wanted ‒ lovemaking that was fun and enjoyable. He hated every second that Michael seemed afraid of him.