Chapter 12

The shuttle took Captain Almeida and Lieutenant Stewart across the short distance to Capella early for the Monday session with Adjudicator Fontaine, while the Qatar remained in orbit around the space station, freeing up the docking bays for ships that needed them. Both men wore their dark navy-blue dress uniforms, with all the medals and decorations to which they were entitled. If ever there was a time to parade Stewart's professional standing, this was it.

Michael Banner was on board the shuttle too. Apparently he had business to conduct at the hospital. The Lieutenant studiously avoided meeting his gaze. He wanted Banner to stay away from him, protect himself.

Major Tremblay met them at Patrol headquarters and they followed him to the small courtroom which had been set aside for the hearing. Captain Martinez and Captain Lang were already there, seated on one side of the room, while the newcomers sat opposite. Stewart looked around, curious as to where the Adjudicator would sit.

As if his thoughts had conjured him up, Major Fontaine entered the court followed by a court recorder, and both men took a seat in between the two parties, making a semi circle. The Major was a medium-sized man in his mid-fifties, with short black hair just beginning to grey on the temples, and an impassive expression. He stared coolly at all the participants as Captain Martinez stood and made the introductions.

Stewart thought his gaze rested an extra minute on Captain Almeida and hoped it was because he was impressed that he was there, giving him his support.

"Thank you, Captain Martinez." Major Fontaine had an unexpectedly deep voice. "I have read both parties' submissions. I have some questions, but before I proceed, is there any new information that I should be informed of?"

The session proceeded unevenly as Captain Martinez went through the evidence and the Major continued to clarify various points. This time Stewart found he was able to meet Robin's accusing gaze when their eyes met across the room occasionally. He tried to project sympathetic concern, avoiding getting drawn into any challenging or defensive posturing. He tried to project confidence. He was certain he would be acquitted when Max regained his senses.

~~~

Michael Banner had received permission from Dr. Patel to visit Max while he was at the hospital. He went quietly into the cubicle. Max lay there silently as before, the white bedspread which covered him rising and falling gently with his breathing. Banner checked the monitors ‒ nothing had really changed since his last visit.

He was wondering why he had come. Had he really expected Max would suddenly wake up because he was needed? He was wasting time, prevaricating. He knew what he had to do ‒ he had to go to Patrol headquarters and tell Adjudicator Fontaine and Captain Martinez that he had been Alan's companion that night.

He would say they had simply gone there for a drink and a chat. They might suspect his sexuality but they wouldn't be able to prove anything. After all, if someone asked him whether he and Alan had a sexual relationship he would be able to say 'no' in all honesty.

He looked down at Max one last time. "I have to go. They're charging Alan with attacking you, right now. I have to go and tell them he was with me." He clasped Max's hand lightly for a second and left.

"Wait..." The word was so faint that Banner didn't hear it.

Banner made it to the courtroom just as the session was winding to a close. Major Fontaine was about to set the date for the next hearing and announce his decision as to whether or not Lieutenant Stewart needed to be detained on Capella.

Everyone turned to watch in surprise as Banner entered the room, looking self-conscious but determined. He caught Alan giving him a very slight shake of the head, but he knew he was doing the right thing. He jumped in before Major Fontaine could open his mouth to order him out.