II. My new friend Jamie

Chapter 2: My New Friend Jamie

~. . . .~

An Original Short Story By

TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

~Jamie’s POV~

The class looked about as boring as the last school I was at. It sucks having to move around so much, but hey. What can I do? The teacher seemed nice enough. And this one kid caught my eye the minute I walked in. He had almost white hair that was long and tousled. If I were to be honest, he looked like a cornered hamster. Usually, when there’s a new kid, all the attention is on him. Everyone looks at them, trying to figure them out. Which is what everyone else did. The blond kid though? He kept his head down and face out of sight. He intrigued me.

“How about in the back, next to Adrian.” The teacher, Mr. Cook, said . So Adrian was the kids name. The kid instantly snapped his head up to the teacher with a panicked look. I guess he doesn’t like new people. He had shocking green eyes that held something different. Like he had to deal with something heavy. But what unnerved me was that there was a bruise about the size of a hand on his face. I wonder who he got into a fight with…

But, because there were no more seats, I sat down next to Adrian; who had returned his sight to is lap. Something about this Adrian kid interested me. I stared at him, trying to crack some sort of code. I noticed he looked very nervous. He started shaking and his leg bounced up and down. Was I the one making Adrian nervous? Maybe he sat alone for a reason.

“Adrian?” Mr. Cook stopped in the middle of the lesson. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed how uncomfortable Adrian was acting.

Then it happened so fast. He stopped shaking and went completely rigid before swaying slightly and slipping out of the chair. He laid out cold on the tiled floor next to his chair. Murmurs erupted all over the room while Mr. Cook rushed back to the fallen boy. 

“Someone get the nurse!” He shouted. No one seemed very worried except the teacher. Some girl stood up and leisurely walked out of the classroom. To get the nurse, I assumed. Everyone was so laid back even though one of their students just passed out. What’s wrong with these people?

“Err, is he okay?” I ask the teacher who was knelt on the floor next Adrian. He glanced at me for a moment before returning his attention to the boy on the floor.

“Yeah. It happens sometimes. Everyone is kind of used to it by now, but I still worry about him…” Mr. Cook confirmed. It still astounded me that no one looked concerned besides him.

“Well is there anything I can do to help?” I ask, hoping that there is.

“No I don’t… Actually, yeah. Can you go to the office and tell the secretary that Adrian Proctor fainted again and that she needs to phone his parents?” I nodded and left the classroom. Why would Adrian just faint like that? It was pretty sudden, too. Is he ill? Does he have some sort of disease? I couldn’t help but feel bad for the poor kid.

The only reason I knew where the office was, is because that was the first place I went to when I arrived at Brattleboro High. Once the secretary got the message from Mr. Cook, she told me to go back to the class. 

On my way back, I noticed the woman I presumed to be the nurse, was standing out side the classroom with the teacher and Adrian, who was now awake. I walked up to them to relay the news.

“The secretary called his parents.” I say to Mr. Cook. Adrian’s face showed horror for a moment. Only I noticed it and I wondered why he reacted that way.