IV. The Black Van

Chapter 4: The Black Van

~. . . .~

An Original Short Story By

TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

[[TRIGGER WARNING]]

~. . . .~

 ~Jamie's POV~

I wasn't aloud to go to the hospital with Adrian. No matter how much I pleaded and tried to force myself through the paramedics into the ambulance, they just wouldn't give. He was my best and only friend, and they wouldn't let me go with him after I found him beaten on the hallway floor. It made me more frustrated. I knew he didn't like hospitals. He told me how creepy and off-putting he found them. And who could blame him? It's filled with disease. People die there on a regular basis. There's needles, scalpels, saws, and a bunch of other things that would scare someone. And lets not forget about blood. Who would like hospitals? Honestly.

As soon as the paramedics got to Adrian, he passed out. He'd been fighting it the whole time I was keeping him awake. But I guess once the people who could possibly save his life got there, he found it okay. It still scares me. What if he went into cardiac arrest? What if he went comatose? What if he died? It scared me to no end to think about him dyeing. Adrian has no idea how much he means to me. Everything he did interested me. Every time we touched, I got butterfly's. When he smiled, I could help but smile too. And laugh. And cry. And feel... anything. It was a wonder he hadn't noticed yet. Or maybe he did and chose to ignore it. But, man, did it suck. Having a crush on someone and liking them so much but knowing they would never feel the same way. Sadly, ever since the day we'd agreed to be real friends, my feelings for him became so much stronger. 

My red and puffy eyes followed the ambulance as it zoomed away from the school. The loud and obnoxious siren became more distant by the second and eventually, it became so far away that the sound wouldn't be picked up buy my ears anymore. I was sitting at the bench Adrian and I sat at the first day I came here. It seemed so long ago. Definitely not two months ago. I picked up my book bag and started walking home. I texted my mom and told her that something came up and that I would just walk instead of her picking me up.

My cheeks were stiff and dry from crying so much. And there was some dried blood on my hands from his head. I made sure to put them in my pockets so no passing by people or cars would think I killed someone. I coudn't hide it from my clothes though. My mum was probably going to have a heart attack when she saw me. I'd have to quickly explain before she freaked.

Another thing that stood out in my mind was what Adrian told me. He basically told me he would have killed himself. He wanted to die. He felt unimportant. Little did he know he was slowly becoming what my world was built on.  How could I go on if Adrian died? Holy hell. My feelings are worse than I thought. A fresh wave of tears started. I ended up crying the whole way home.

About a half hour later, I was at my doorstep. Making sure the tears were done, I pulled out my key and unlocked the door.

"Mum, I'm home!" I yelled as well as I could while walking in. My voice was strained and scratchy from crying. 

"In the kitchen!" She yelled back. Taking a deep breath I walked into the kitchen. Her back was facing me and she was cooking something on the stove. She turned around, smiling, but it instantly disappeared when she the state I was in. I could only imagine how I looked.

Tear stained cheeks, red eyes, running nose, blood on my pants, shirt and hands. She went into panic mode.

"Honey! Are you hurt?! Did the kids at school hurt you?!" She asked frantically and pulled a chair up to the breakfast bar for me to sit.