V. Purgatory

Chapter 5: Purgatory

~. . . .~

An Original Short Story By

TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

~Jamie's POV~

I was slowly coming alive. My mouth opened in a yawn. Why was it so cold? Didn't Mum have the heating on? Something was different about the smells. My house smelled like vanilla and pumpkin spice- some sort of spray Mum sprays all over the house to make it smell good. Air fresheners, I think. But instead, it smelled like bleach and linen. That's when it hit me.

I wasn't at home.

Instantly, my eyes shot open. They closed again when they were met with high voltage ceiling lights. It burnt my eyes. Once I could see properly, I noticed my surroundings. Certainly not where I expected to be taken to after being kidnapped. It looked like it smelled. Clean. Sterile. Almost like a hospital. My stomach twisted at the though of being kept in a place anything like a hospital. That's something Adrian and I shared. A hatred for these kind of places. Oh, no. How long had I been gone? Adrian must be worried sick. He told me not to go out; that it was dangerous. But did I listen? No. I had to be stubborn about it. And I don't even want to think about what my mum is doing right now.

With a defeated sigh, I sat up. There was handcuffs locked around my wrist and the post next to my bed. There was a small, red light in the middle. A beep came from them and the light turned green. The cuff around my wrist came undone. Without getting out of bed, thinking maybe it was a trap, I decided to look around the room.

White. White walls, white linoleum flooring, white bed sheets, Except The clothes I was wearing. The shirt was a tight, black long sleeve tee shirt and the pants were long, black cotton. Almost like pajama bottoms. No shoes or socks. Noticing there was a camera in the corner, where the walls came together with the ceiling. A red light flashed on it.

Deciding there was nothing they could really do, I gave the blokes a not-so-nice gesture with my middle finger. Grunting, I climbed out onto the floor. The bed kept me on my feet. Whatever drug they gave me before still had fully worn off.

Once I could stand right, I went out door into a hallway. So the whole building was like a hospital. More doors littered the walls. Not sure which way I should go, the right side looked promising. Well, as promising as it could be for a hospital-look-alike. The floor is cool and smooth. I keep walking down the hall and turned a corner. There was a boy beyond the corner. His hair was short and a sandy blond color but covered his forehead. He looked like my age, but he was a small kid. He looked frustrated as he ran his fingers through his hair, tugging at the roots. He leaned against the wall. While my outfit was all black, his was all white.

"Excuse me?" I said in the hall. He looked like one of the kids on the news who went missing. Leon, I think? Instantly, he turned to look at me. His eyes were big and grey. Dark freckles dotted his tan skin. He was kind of cute, like little kid cute.

"Oh, hello. You're the newest one, right?"He had a not so deep voice.

"I suppose. Leon, right?" I said. He looked surprised.

"How do you...?" He started to ask when I interrupted him.

"The news. My friend and I saw it before I was taken." I shrugged. "So, any idea where we are? Aren't there others?"

"No idea. Some old and abandoned hospital, it looks like. For all we know, we might not even be in Vermont anymore. And yeah, the others are in the main room." He gestured to follow him to the main room. When we entered, four tired looking faces turned our way.