14. FIRST THINGS FIRST

Bismillah.

14. First Things First

Zai's POV

"First, do not defy him. When he can't fulfill his word, tell him you understand and smile at him."

Remembering Aaron's advice, I dialed my husband's number before I started the engine of my car. After three attempts, still he did not pick up. I decided to leave a non - defying sweet message for him through his voice mail.

"Assalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh Hon! Thank you for the tasty lunch. I truly appreciate it. My staff is indeed happy. I'm starting to think they would rather have you as their boss than me. *giggles* Anyway, don't tire yourself okay? I miss you ... already. Can't wait to come home to you my love. See you later. In shaa Allah. I love you. Hmwah!"

I couldn't help but smile at myself. I honestly do love Amir Luqman and I love being his wife, even if sometimes I feel that he no longer loves me the way he used to. I sighed and controlled my thoughts. You can do this Zai. Just be sweet and be nice to him, until he feels guilty and perhaps realize your worth. Ameen.

I started my car and drove back to my office.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Amir's POV

My phone rang after I prayed Zuhur at the masjid. It was my wife. Wow, what has gotten into her? I simply ignored her calls and started driving my way back to my office. She tried three times and I must say, it felt good, for her to want to call me. Looking at the screen of my phone, it says that I have a voice message. I parked the car near a flower shop and got my phone. I listened to her message.

"Assalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh Hon! Thank you for the tasty lunch. I truly appreciate it. My staff is indeed happy. I'm starting to think they would rather have you as their boss than me. *giggles* Anyway, don't tire yourself okay? I miss you ... already. Can't wait to come home to you my love. See you later. In shaa Allah. I love you. Hmwah!"

Now, I am smiling like a lunatic. She appreciated the lunch I sent her. And hearing her giggle warmed my heart. I even laughed at her joke about her staff. Her concern over me was ... touching. And she said she misses me. Really? A part of me wishes that she really does miss me. She says she can't wait to come home. And her parting words of I love you... is drowning me in joy.

No Amir, she's only sweet to you maybe because she feels guilty. My grip on my phone was so tight that I could feel it on my palm. I threw my phone on the seat next to me and was about to start the engine when the sight of the flower shop hurt me even more.

I wish I could send her flowers and make her happy.

But you can't Amir because she doesn't deserve any sweet gesture from you.

So she can't wait to come home later to you huh? Well, you're working overtime tonight and she would have to wait all night long for you to arrive.

Something in my heart constricted like my very heart was against what I was doing. I listened to her voice message again, and again, and again. Until I have memorized the sound of her voice, the pause, the giggles, the words. Damn! I love my wife so so much and yet I cannot show her that! How long am I going to be like this?