23. THE FAVOR

Bismillah.

23. The Favor

Aaron's POV

As we entered Lola Tanya's house, I've noticed how Zai hurriedly went to her. Lola Tanya or Grandma as how I used to call her was seated on a chair, with a tasbih on her hand making dhikr.

"Assalamu alaykum Lola," she said to her.

"Oh Zai sweetie, is that you?" Grandma responded and gave her a peck on the cheek.

Grandma was almost blind because of her blurred vision.

"I'm here too, Grandma," I announced then went to her side.

I saw how Zai's expression shift to shock. She must not have expected me to be close to them.

"Harun?" Grandma said.

I smiled. Grandma loved to call me the real name of Prophet Musa (Moses') brother who is Prophet Harun (peace be upond them) whose name commonly termed as Aaron on the English language.

I touched her hand to mine and kiss it. She was old and it is a known truth that she is dying very soon.

"Yahya will be very happy to see you both," she said and tears well up on her eyes.

"Speaking of whom, where is he grandma?" I asked.

"He works as a carrier of hollow block and sand. My grandchild, only eight years old and yet forced to..."

She was not able to finish because Zai hushed her. The sight warmed my heart. I drop by this community whenever I can, giving anonymous envelope with cash to the families here in need. Grandma and her grandchild Yahya were dearest to my hearts. My papers of adopting Yahya is also ready. I just had it finalized a week ago.

"Stop crying you beautiful women. I'll get us some food," I said excusing myself and making my way to their make-shift kitchen. I heated some water for the cup noodles we bought. Grandma needs fruits and vegetables. I should remind Little Yahya to buy her some. As I was waiting for the water to boil, I opened my wallet, got 5 thousand bills and wrapped it on a paper. Then I went towards Yahya's bed and placed it underneath the pillow. Even the sight of his make shift bed on the floor with the tattered old mat hurt my heart. Grandma and Yahya should really leave this place as soon as possible. She needs rest and attention while Yahya needs a family. I made a du'a to Allah that both will agree to come home with me tonight.

"Hey, are you okay?" Zai's voice interrupted my thoughts.

I turn to look at her and smiled at her concern.

"Yes, I am. Do pray that Grandma and Yahya will not hesitate to come home with me. Yahya will be my adopted son, if both shall agree, in shaa Allah. I cannot bear having him here," I told her, voicing out my frustration.

To my surprise, Zai suddenly hugged me. I was frozen on the spot.

_____________________________________________________________________

Zai's POV

Overwhelmed by too much awe, admiration and happiness, I hugged Aaron after he shared to me his plans of adopting this poor family. It reminded me of an authentic hadith of the Prophet (s.a.w) who said that the Muslim who adopts an orphan will be close to him in Jannah. Allahu akbar! Aaron... is just so.... Amazing. Yahya is not the real grandchild of Lola Tanya. She just found him wondering on the street, begging for food and money from people. I never thought a man like Aaron existed, who will adopt a child even if he does not have a wife. Oh ya Rabb, truly YOU are the turner of hearts.