27. THE MAILED CARD

Bismillah.

27. The Mailed Card

Lemuel's POV

After dinner, Samara was having a conversation with ZJ while I joined in. Samara's husband, Ahmed was putting their three children to sleep. He would be reading them bedtime stories. I am thankful to Allah that my older sister is blessed with a loving caring husband and a good father to their children. I suddenly saw myself doing the same thing with Zai. Nope, stop it Lemuel. ZJ, focus on her.

"So you have no plans of continuing your education in London?" Samara asked.

She shook her head.

"I got a recommendation from the Director so I'll just finish my degree in Islamic Studies here," she answered.

"How about your scholarship?" I asked.

"I'm looking into sponsors and in shaa Allah, I'll find one," she said, without looking at me.

She really is a modest kind of woman.

"How about my company? I'd like to sponsor you," I said.

My sister looked at me again, as if she was against it.

"You would?" ZJ asked with a hopeful voice.

Both her hands were on her chest. Maybe she really needed a sponsor. Is she having money problems?

"Yes," I answered with a smile.

"But why?" ZJ asked, this time looking straight at me.

I stared into her eyes and visualize Zai's eyes. ZJ has an Arabian beauty with long eyelashes. Zai's eyes were ordinary but they have a way of captivating your soul. I looked away from ZJ and drank the coffee from the cup I was holding.

Noticeably, ZJ sat a bit straight, suddenly feeling conscious.

"You're a friend of my sister. I will be more than glad to help," I answered.

"Ohh, what can I do then in return?"

"How about you agree to be my wife?" I said straight to the point.

Both women gasped and ZJ stood up.

"It's getting late. Grandma might be waiting for me already. She always can't sleep unless I was at home. I got to go now," she said.

"Alright, I'll escort you out," Samara said.

"May I?" I announced, standing up.

My sister gave me a reprimanding look again but I chose to ignore it. Zai started walking and I followed behind her. We reached the door and I opened it for her. Jenny was waiting outside the gate, inside the car as she was driving ZJ home tonight.

"Assalamu alaykum," she said then climbed down the steps.

"Ms. Jamaeca," I called.

She looked back and I cleared my throat before speaking.

"I was serious with my proposal."

She simply nodded and took off.

"Are you out of your mind?" Samara said, appearing next to me.

"I must be."

She shook her head and clicked her tongue in disappointment.

"You're a fool."

"I know."

"What if ZJ says yes? What kind of marriage would it be if your heart is madly in love with Zai?" she said, grabbing my shoulder and letting me face her.