Chapter 4

'She's 22 already mom. And she's so beautiful. And she said she didn't want to go to university but become an apprentice at he local clinic. Apparently, the doctor there is certified in both werewolf and human medicine. Isn't that amazing? She'll be able to help whoever needs her.'

'Slow down, Don.' mom holds her hands up, laughing at me, 'I got it. She's the best thing ever.'

She is grinning at me now, a twinkle in her eyes. I feel myself blush at how funny she apparently finds this.

'Sorry. It's just, since I've met her, there's little else to think about.' I mumble.

'I know, I know. I'm sorry for teasing you. It's just so cute. I'd have never thought you'd be so different.'

It's true as well. I have been different since the date two days ago. Actually, I've been different from the moment I met her, but the more I find out, the more my mind is occupied with her.

The feeling is the weirdest thing ever, and I can't really describe it, but it's an amazing one and I don't want it to stop.

'Let's change topic then.' I suggest, considering the only things we've talked about for past few days has been Sheila and sometimes, in association, Raphael.

'What was that with the alpha the other day?' I ask, the twinkle in my eyes now. I grin when I see her struggle for words. I know I decided to wait for her to tell me by herself, but I'm way too curious now.

'He was... is a friend of mine and your father's from college.' she finally says.

We've long since gotten over dad's death, but that doesn't mean we talk about it every day. We do try to avoid the topic where we can, but it's so much easier now than in the beginning, especially for mom, I had barely really known my dad. He was killed before I could get to that point.

Four years after his death, mom stopped looking for the hunter that had killed him because she felt guilty for ignoring me in favour of dad's murderer. That was eleven years ago and since my ninth birthday, when mom came in with a giant birthday cake as an apology, we've been so close, she's probably been my best friend as well as my mother for some time now.

'You went to college here?' I ask, eyes wide.

'No, and neither did your dad or Tim. But right after college, Tim left for university here, found his mate and became alpha of her pack. We didn't really stay in contact, but he's part of the reason I was so comfortable with moving here.'
I raise an eyebrow at the word comfortable and she concedes by rolling her eyes.

'Alright then, I could get used to the thought of moving here. Better?' she asks and I just grin victoriously. Half of our conversations go like this, where one of us would talk and the other would just answer with facial expressions. It's weird really, but it's our weird so it's a good thing.

'It was a weird thing, Ben and I were mates, but the three of us got along so well and it never got awkward, even if there was no one else there. Maybe it's because our children would be mates too, some sort of premonition friendship thing.' she contemplates. I only shrug, who knows. It's entirely possible, I don't put anything past the werewolf gene.

'Should we go for a run?' I ask then. I haven't really been since I got here and neither has she. I did get my need to let my wolf side out from her, so I know she's just as fidgety as I am.

She nods and we quickly leave the house, deciding to find the forest. It's not as big as the one close to our former house, but it'll do for a quick run.

We change and bold through the trees. Mom's always been faster than me and she still is, but that never stopped me from trying and it doesn't today. We race and as always, I lose. But it's fun and it feels good. I never had a problem with losing to her. She's the one who trained and raised me, it's only natural that she would be the superior wolf.