Chapter 6

It is two days after the fight I had with Raphael that I end up having lunch with my mom. I don't have uni today and she's been quite stressed about fitting in with her job, doing everything right and getting along with everyone. She could use a change of pace for once.

I surprise her in her office, having called them earlier to make sure mom is still there, and knock at the door.

She doesn't look up, so I knock again.

I grin when her head finally rises and her whole face spells confusion.

'Donovan. What are you doing here?' she says while gesturing for me to sit in one of the cozy looking chairs.

'Figured I'd take out a beautiful, smart and hardworking woman today.' I say, grinning cheesily.

'Let's go have lunch!' I add and pull her out of her office, grabbing her coat and handbag on the way.

We get grins and waves all the way to the front door and someone even asks why mom had hidden such a gem like me. I almost giggle at that.

The restaurant I booked a table for isn't far away and nothing fancy at all. It usually really doesn't suit either of us. We only go out fancily for special occasions and even then we usually end up getting a sundae from Mac Donald's afterwards.

It is a tiny little every-asian-country-all-you-can-eat-buffet thing and I have been craving one for so long now. I love Asian food and so does mom. Unfortunately, my mate doesn't, which is why it's been Mexican or Italian up until now.

When we get there, we are greeted by a small, but seemingly happy lady with a hairdo far too complex for me to even wrap my head around. She smiles all the way to our table, makes idle small talk and then leaves us to get settled.

Mom is wearing a really nice dark blue ensemble. She's not usually one to dress up, but she always says for work and her son she always will anyway. She's a lawyer too, so she does have to look presentable at all times.

When I called her office this morning, I told them I was going to take mom out for once, so they said not to worry about how long it's going to take. When I inform mom of that, she's speechless at first and then proceeds to hit my arm.

I grumble and rub it, pretending it actually hurt.

'Oh suck it up, you big baby.' she chides, then stands up to get her first serving. Yes, first, because that woman can eat, even if you can't see a thing of it in her figure.

I follow behind her, loading my plate with all the deliciousness there is. I've even skipped breakfast to now have enough space in my stomach to eat everything. Food is my weakness.

Once we get back to our table and start our food, both of us end up stealing stuff off the other's plates and it's just a giant grab whatever you can fest.

I love these moments with my mom. Because it's only ever been the two of us, we have a really strong bond and I wouldn't change it for the world.

She's probably the most important person in my life, just about the same as my mate, which definitely says something.

We soon stand up to get another serving. We're still on the appetiser and haven't even touched the main course yet. This is definitely going to be a long lunch break.

'Thanks Donovan. This really means a lot.' she suddenly says, smiling brightly at me.

'Don't worry about it. You deserve it.' I smile back, 'And in all honesty, I've been craving Asian food for so long. It wouldn't even have mattered which country it comes from, as long as it's Asian. It's just been way too long.' I almost moan around my food it's that good.