Original version-Chapter one

Chapter one

            Walking alone on a cold Friday night was typical for me after long nights at the office trying to figure out who killed who and why so that maybe the poor victims' family and friends can find some sort of closure but that doesn't exist. That Victim will forever be remember in the most horrifying way. Why? Well because they were brutally murdered if they get lucky they aren't raped. Again poor souls and May they find peace within their 'afterlife' as some call it. For me well those faces, bodies, scars will forever haunt me in my dreams and even when I am in reality. That's my job solving and fighting crime not wanting the numbers of murders to rise. Too late for that I guess each day the streets of Chicago get worse and worse and soon everyone will be inside trying to survive. A wild dog they said. Just a wild dog who needs to learn some control killed the girl. What dog would tear a teenage girl to shred? No dog I know. Not here. The look on her pale bloody face still terrifies me. She was only fifteen, friends say she was out with some boy named Hector.

            I walk to the apartment complex looking at the message Sampson sent me to make sure this is Hector's parents place. I wait for a couple minutes debating whether I should buzz again. As my finger goes to press it again the door opens revealing a very well dressed woman in her late forties. "Yes?" The woman asks eyeing me up and down. "Detective Ross I am here to investigate the case of Eliza. Sorry for the late timing but can I ask your son Hector a few questions regarding the case?" I look at the woman waiting for her response. "Sure but make it quick Hector has a game in the morning" I nod following her through the two bedroom apartment modernly decorated. "Hector there is a detective her to talk to you about Eliza" The woman says as she opens the door to I assume Hectors room which is very messy. "Where can we talk?"

            As we sit in the kitchen with his mom present of course Hector begins to fidget. "Don't be nervous it will go by quick" I give a smile to calm him down but he just turns red. "So around what time did you last see Eliza?" I take out my notepad ready to jot down anything important. "Around...nine, ten I think she wanted to go outside and so I went back to get a drink"

"Was she drinking? Under the influence?"

"Yes she was a bit tipsy so I just left letting Juliet know"

"Who is Juliet?"

"Her best friend they are inseparable. Juliet wanted to keep an eye on her cause she hardly knows how to drink."

"So she gets easily drunk." I wrote that down to seem like half of this was important but it was hardly not. I take a sip of my sparkling water they offered me. "You said you left her around nine, ten right?" He nods "But the body was discovered at eight, how is that possible?" I look at the sheets of information to make sure I was correct. "Let me check my phone because I sent a text to Juliet-"He grabs his phone going through it. "Hector do you mind if I look through it? I could get a permit but-"He looks at his mom who nods. "Sure" I read through the most recent messages wanting to find something anything that will help me figure out what did this. I lied about the permit the firm doesn't want me to be in this case anymore they think it's an animal. "Okay thank you for your time." I give him back the phone when I find nothing. "No problem detective" The mother says following me to the door. As soon as I am out my phone rings. "Ross"

"It's me Sampson. Find anything?" I huff rummaging for my car keys. "Nope. I swear teens need to stop getting drunk" He laughs "we were like that once Morgan." I enter my car rolling my eyes. "Not me I was the geek who fangirled too much about Buffy the Vampire slayer"

"Well we'll just have to keep looking. Keep me posted."

"Alright goodnight"

"Goodnight..."