Chapter Nine

Riding a hedgehog was a rather uncomfortable experience. Without a saddle or blanket to cover over the sharp, little spines, Alice was forced to hold herself up with her legs lest the needlelike barbs jab into her posterior. She was too focused on holding onto Tart for dear life to look back to see how Hatta and Haigha were faring, but seeing she had heard no cries for help, she assumed they were both still safely aboard.

The Cake Alice discovered in her smol had indeed been Shrinking Cake. She and her two prisoner companions ate just enough to fit through the crack in the wall that the Dormouse had discovered. After a short argument between herself and Hatta about whether to leave the Dormouse behind, Haigha finally scooped the creature up and brought him along.

Luckily for them, they had shrunken down enough to ride Tart, making the journey through the castle grounds that much quicker. Still, Tart's little legs could only cover so much ground, and Alice worried about the little fellow running out of steam before they were a safe distance from the Queen.

"Take a turn here." Alice nearly cried out in surprise at feeling Hatta's warm breath against her ear. "We can slip through the gates."

Alice attempted to steer Tart in the correct direction, but it was difficult to do so without any sort of bridle or reins. With enough prodding and pleading, though, the hedgehog began to scurry towards the gates. What a beautiful sight those iron bars were! As they drew closer and closer, Alice felt a wary relief building inside of her. Could she truly escape? Could she make it out of this day with her head still on her shoulders?

At last they were out, slipping by the guards without attracting a lick of attention, even with the Dormouse snoring in Haigha's arms. Alice let out a triumphant laugh once they were far enough away, giddy with the success of their jailbreak.

However, not knowing where they were going or how they would return to their normal sizes, Alice clung helplessly to Tart, allowing him to take them wherever his little heart pleased. And more than likely it would lead him to food.

"Hatta, where should we go from here?" Alice hollered over her shoulder, still too nervous to take her eyes off of their path.

"The Crossroads would be preferable," Hatta said lazily. He hesitated before adding, "I hate to worry you, love, but there appears to be a Mome Rath following us. It seems to think we are a tasty treat."

"What?" Alice exclaimed, turning her head to look.

"Eyes forward!" Hatta snapped. "You don't want to fall off."

"Do Mome Raths eat hedgehogs?"

"I believe Mome Raths eat whatever they can find. They aren't picky. Although, naming your pet hedgehog after a dessert was likely not the best idea."

"What should we do?"

"Look through that little purse of yours."

"Why?"

"You already managed to fish out Shrinking Cake earlier today. Perhaps in your desperation you'll come up with something to make us grow."

"I don't even know how that Cake ended up in there!"

"Well, if you're not concerned with be snarfed down by a Mome Rath..."

Alice gritted her teeth. "Make sure I don't fall off."

Putting her trust in Hatta, she loosened her grip on Tart. Thankfully, she felt Hatta's arms snake around her waist, holding her tight as she desperately dug through her smol. Again, she reached deeper into the bag than seemed possible, nearly climbing inside. Finally, her fingers brushed against something soft and crumbly. Hoping it was something to make her grow, she removed her arm, revealing a slice of white Cake in her palm. Whether it was Growing or Shrinking was yet to be determined, but she decided the situation was dire enough to trust her gut.