Chapter Thirty

"Oh my, I've never worn anything so fancy before," Mary Ann said as she held the black and white gown against herself.

"I can't wait to see it on you," Alice said as she helped Pierrot pass out the clothing they had stolen from the shop. "When I saw it, I thought you'd look so lovely in it."

Mary Ann's eyes teared up slightly before she shook her head and returned her gaze to the dress. "I feel as if I'm dressing above my station. I hope I don't get in trouble."

"You're part of a rebellion, Mary Ann, you're already in a bit of hot water. Dressing above your station is the least of your worries," Hatta said. He caught sight of Alice admiring the blue gown Pierrot had insisted she take. "Blue. What a surprise."

Alice raised her eyebrows at him. "Enough snide remarks from you. Why don't you show us how your little project came out?"

With a smirk, Hatta pulled from his bag five exquisite masks. Made with fine, delicate material, each had a personality and charm of its own. One had a long black feather sticking out from the top. Another looked almost like a rabbit's face sans the ears. There was a mask that was shaped like a giant butterfly and one shaped like a crow. All were black and white save for one, which was a vibrant blue. It was rather simple compared to the others. All it had for decorations were a few black velvet swirls and a black rose.

"I thought our fearless leader should stand apart from the rest of us," Hatta said with a grin.

Alice traced the velvet designs. Did she want to stand out?

"So, the plan," Pierrot said, pulling Alice's attention back to the group.

"Yes, the plan," Hatta said as he sat himself on a stump. "Mary Ann and Haigha, you two will be in charge of sneaking into the kitchen and adding the poppy dust to the wine. I assume, Mary Ann, that since you have served in the Castle before you will be able to find your way there?"

Mary Ann nodded. "It's been a while, but I'm certain I will be able to do it."

"Good. Haigha, be on the watch. Make sure you don't get caught, and if you do, use some of the dust. But not all of it. We need enough for the entire crowd."

Haigha trembled but nodded his understanding.

Hatta turned to Pierrot and Alice. "Pierrot, you will be in charge of distracting the crowd and the Queen. Do some of your fanciful tricks. Rile them up. Get them laughing. Then end it with—"

"A toast to the lovely Queen and her ravishing ball," Pierrot said with a smile. Despite the grin, his eyes looked so very sad.

"Correct. Mary Ann and Haigha will have added the dust to the wine at that point, and the White Rabbit will have instructed the servants to pass the glasses out to everyone."

"And what will you be doing, Hatta?" asked Alice.

"I will be making sure that every exit is secured so that no one—not even a queen—can escape." Hatta turned to Alice. "And that's when you, my dear Alice, will make your move."

Alice swallowed. Her move. What was her move?

"And how are we going to get inside again?" asked Mary Ann.

"We'll eat some Shrinking Cake," Hatta said, "sneak in without getting stepped on, and wait for the White Rabbit by the painted rose tree. He'll bring us inside, we'll eat some more Cake, and there we have it."

It sounded so simple, and yet Alice knew this would be one of the most difficult things she had ever done in her life. As the others began discussing the plan amongst themselves, Alice thought about what she was going to do. Not so much with regards to the Queen—she figured she would have to act in the moment with that—but more so with regards to what she would do when it was all over.

Did she want to become the Queen? Not really. It seemed like far too much responsibility. Besides, she hadn't the first clue about what a queen was supposed to do. Failure was inevitable if she accepted.

But could she refuse? What would the kingdom do without a ruler? Would her friends be disappointed? She did have the Vorpal Sword. This was her fate, no matter how inadequate she felt.

Someone took hold of her hand and gave it a squeeze. She looked up and found Pierrot by her side. "Don't drive yourself mad thinking about all of this," he said.

"But everyone is putting so much faith in me. What if I'm not capable of doing this? What if the moment comes and I freeze? Or do the wrong thing? What if I get us all killed?"

Pierrot removed his hand from hers and put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. "They are putting their faith in you because you have proven that you are a strong person."

"They've put their faith in me because of the Vorpal Sword. Hatta wanted nothing to do with me before I pulled it out. And it's what convinced Mary Ann and the White Rabbit to help us. Even you only took an interest in me because of it."

Pierrot hesitated. "It was not the Sword alone that piqued my interest. But even if it did have a hand in drawing these people to you, clearly it is not why they are following you into battle."

"Why else would they put so much faith in me?"

"You make Mary Ann feel wanted and useful. Your friendship has filled a gaping hole in her life. You make Haigha feel safe. You defend and protect him, treating him as an individual and not just a lackey. You challenge Hatta. You are not intimidated by him and you call him out on his bad behavior. He respects you for that, and Hatta respects very few."

Alice stared at Pierrot in wonder. "How do you know all this?"

"And you give me hope. Your kindness, your hunger for life, your determination to make things right even when you make mistakes. And your love for others, particularly that captain of yours." He gave a teasing smile, but it turned sincere and earnest. "The love you two have for each other—a love some would deem impossible considering you are on opposite sides of the law—gives me hope that such a love can conquer all obstacles. Obstacles like elitism, death—even fate."

The sadness in his eyes grew deeper as he spoke, and Alice couldn't help but wonder what he had lost in life that made him look so despondent even when smiling.

"You are an inspiration, Alice," he continued. "And that is why everyone is so willing to follow after you and why they want to make you the next Queen of Hearts."

"You sure know how to charm a girl, Pierrot."

"Remember, though, that just because others are inspired by you, it doesn't mean you need to sacrifice what you love and desire for them. If they truly care for you, they'll want you to be happy, even if that means choosing a different path than what they hoped you would choose."

With a twist of his hand, Pierrot revealed a white rose and handed it to Alice. She took it with a smile. "Thank you, Pierrot. I don't know what I would do without you."

"You are very capable, Alice. I'm certain that you will manage quite well on your own."