Chapter Twenty-Eight

Ace rubbed his sore cheek. Hatta had not held back with his blow. Though unable to actually see it, Ace was certain there was a sizeable bruise. Hopefully the injury would help to convince the Queen that he had indeed escaped from the rebels.

The sergeant who escorted him to the Court glanced at him nervously. Ace smiled, trying to ease the guard's obvious anxiety. "I'm fine, Sergeant. It's just a bruise."

"It's not the bruise I'm worried about," the sergeant said as he swallowed hard. His eyes darted about before he leaned in and whispered, "Rumors have been spreading that you defected to the rebellion."

"What makes people think that?"

"You're one of the best guards the Queen has, Captain. The idea that a band of inexperienced rebels could actually take you captive is hard to believe."

"I'm flattered that Hearts thinks so highly of my skills."

"Captain, is it true?"

Ace looked at the guard. His eyes were filled with worry. He remembered that he had looked just as troubled when he informed Ace of Alice's escape. Before, it had been concern for his own life and that of his friend. This time, it was clear his concern was for Ace.

"Sergeant, there's no need to worry about me," Ace said with a disarming smile. "I escaped the rebels and I have returned to the Queen. If I were a defector, would I have dared to come back here?"

The sergeant's face relaxed slightly. "I suppose that wouldn't make sense." His eyes lit up as he turned to Ace once more, curiosity now crowding out the worry. "Are these rebels really as dangerous as everyone believes?"

Images of the strange but relatively harmless individuals he had come to consider friends played through his mind. But his thoughts settled on a pretty blonde thief with a mischievous grin and eyes filled with curiosity. His heart skipped a beat, and his breath caught in his throat.

He returned his gaze to the guard and lifted his eyebrows. "You have no idea how dangerous."

They had arrived at the Court doors. The carved axes seemed to taunt Ace. He was confident in his ability to convince the Queen of his loyalty. But there was always a chance that she would see through his facade and demand his head. The thought of dying was frightening and unpleasant, but the idea of Alice having to lose another person she cared about terrified him. He would not be the cause of her tears.

The doors opened, and Ace was led down the long, red carpet. There was no jury this time, which caused a bit of panic to rise in his chest. He knew that the Queen prefered to deal with more serious crimes without an audience. Her cruelest punishments were often given without anyone in Hearts knowing what had happened.

Pushing these thoughts aside, he kneeled before the Queen on her throne. Waiting for her to speak first, he ignored the uneasy feeling that she already knew the truth.

"Captain Ace," she said at last, every word dripping with venom. "How lovely of you to join us once again."

Ace dared to look up. Her eyes were narrowed as she stared down at him. Raven sat on her shoulder, ready to play the part of executioner at a moment's notice.

"Your Majesty, I beg your forgiveness for my absence," Ace said, bowing his head once more.

"Have you an explanation?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Well, let's hear it."

She sounded bored. Ace couldn't decide if this was a good sign or not. He lifted his head again to find that her hard stare was still on him. He couldn't show any weakness.