Chapter Twenty-Four

Hatta gave a wry smile as they approached. "Well, well, you were awfully busy, weren't you?" he said to Alice as he raised his eyebrows suggestively.

Alice felt her face flush once again. "We got caught in a trap. Apparently, the Queen has encouraged the citizens of Hearts to pursue us in addition to her soldiers."

"So you're a 'we' now?" Hatta asked, pointing to Ace.

"We have a new ally," Pierrot explained.

"How adorable," Hatta teased, placing a hand on his cheek. "However, I am not so swayed by the boy's charmingly ruffled appearance. Not really my type."

"I know it seems risky," Alice admitted, "but I think Ace could be a great asset to our cause. He's been a part of the Queen's guard for years now. He knows the ins and outs of the Castle."

"And how do we know he's not posing as an ally to lead us into another trap?"

"You don't," Ace interrupted. "You don't know that you can trust me. So I completely understand if you decide to keep me locked up or abandon me or kill me."

"Kill you?" Alice exclaimed.

"I would not hold it against you," Ace continued.

Hatta eyed the boy for a moment, stroking his chin in contemplation. Alice glanced at Pierrot who gave her a sympathetic frown. At last, Hatta heaved a sigh.

"The guard can stay, but for now, I'd like to keep him chained up." He grinned at Alice. "I doubt our future queen will object to keeping him in close proximity to herself?"

Alice knew she was blushing again, but she refused to avert her eyes. Quirking an eyebrow, she held the hatter's gaze. "I would think as a fugitive, you wouldn't be so keen on imprisoning a fellow rebel."

"Ah, but, love, that is precisely why I want to keep him in chains. I know just how dangerous we fugitives can be."

Alice huffed and turned her face away. But she caught Ace's eyes. A sweet smile was playing on his lips, and her frustration quickly dissipated. Sure, he was in chains, but he was here. With her. Alive and well.

For now.

"Well, it's been quite an eventful day," Pierrot said. "Perhaps we should call it a night and sit down to have something to eat."

Alice glanced up at the sky and saw that the sun was setting. Had she spent all day running from soldiers and hanging from trees?

"That is a splendid idea," Mary Ann agreed. "I've collected some wild carrots, and if we can find some sort of a pot, I can whip us up a lovely carrot soup."

Hatta looked to Alice, a mocking look in his eyes. "Are you desperately hungry?"

Alice scrunched up her face, still irritated with the madman for not trusting Ace. However, her stomach growled loudly, and hunger soon trumped her stubbornness.

~

They sat down in a small area surrounded by thick bushes, Hatta keeping watch while Mary Ann and Haigha worked on the carrot soup. Alice was able to produce a large cast iron pot from her smol, and Pierrot performed a trick in which a stream of fresh water poured from his beret. Ace watched in wonder.

"You have quite the little band of performers here," he commented to Alice.

"Yes, well, you'd have to be a bit mad to want to overthrow a bloodthirsty queen, no?" Alice replied.

Ace smiled. "We're all mad here."

They happily dined on the delicious soup while engaging in lighthearted conversation. The chain that connected Alice and Ace was nearly forgotten, and it was as if the group had known each other all their lives. Ace's charms were just as effective on Mary Ann and Haigha as they had been on Alice. He easily befriended them both. Pierrot did not engage in much conversation. He watched the rest of the group with a soft smile on his lips, and when Alice caught his attention, he widened his eyes and gave a wink. Eventually, he disappeared, likely to join Hatta in keeping watch.

As the stars began to appear in the sky, the lively group became sleepy and subdued. Mary Ann was curled up by some tree roots, and Haigha's feet were sticking out of the bushes in which he had passed out. Ace and Alice were lying side by side in the soft grass, although Alice found that slumber would not come. She could feel Ace's body heat, and her heart would not keep still. How could she be expected to sleep when her mind was racing with all sorts of crazy things?

A legendary sword meant only for royalty.

A mysterious box wrapped in white roses and thorns.

Three creepy little girls haunting her dreams.

A confession from a handsome guard.

Finally, she turned towards Ace. His back was to her, and his side rose and fell steadily with each breath. "Ace? Are you asleep?" she whispered tentatively.

Without hesitation, Ace turned to face her, that sweet smile still on his lips. Propping himself up on his elbow, he leaned his head against the palm of his hand. "I can't be expected to sleep with a pretty girl lying so close to me."

The butterflies in Alice's stomach went wild, and she could not stop the grin that was spreading across her face. "I'm sorry about Hatta. He's a very suspicious fellow."

Ace shrugged. "It's understandable. I am the captain of the Queen's guard. He's wise to take precautions."

"Well, hopefully Pierrot has been able to talk some sense into him."

Ace smiled. "If not, I have no objections to being attached to you."

Alice laughed. "Don't make comments like that in front of Hatta. It will only give him fodder."

There was a long pause, and Ace's expression began to sober. He averted his eyes and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry," he began clumsily.

Alice cocked her head. "Sorry for what?"

"For what happened in the Court with Mr. Ferret. I'm sorry I couldn't save him."

Alice's gut clenched as the memory of her beloved guardian's untimely end flashed through her mind. She shook her head. "It wasn't your fault. You were doing your job. Besides, you were right. He wanted to protect me. There was really no stopping him."

"Still, I feel awful that I couldn't prevent such a tragedy from happening. Even being the captain, I have very little power."

"You've done quite a bit to help us, Ace. Like leaving notes on doors concerning curfews?"

The guard colored slightly.

"Or feigning defeat in a swordfight against a completely inexperienced thief?" she continued.

Ace laughed nervously as he looked away. "I thought I was being subtle."

"You're dealing with a thief here, Captain. Subtlety is not going to fool me. Anyhow, you've done as much as you could in your position. And we appreciate it greatly." She hesitated before adding, "And Mr. Ferret would have, too."

Reaching out, Ace tucked a strand of Alice's hair behind her ear. His hand lingered, and the heat from his touch spread to the rest of her face. Was she really blushing again? This was getting ridiculous.

"Do you think he would have liked me?" Ace asked quietly.

Alice smiled. "Despite your law-abiding tendencies, I think Mr. Ferret would have indeed been rather fond of you. But, to be fair, he liked just about anything that made me happy."

There was a tense moment in which the eye contact between the two sent electricity sparking in the air. Or was that just in Alice's imagination? Whatever it was, the sensation sent shivers up Alice's spine. It seemed like Ace was about to speak again, but instead, he put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. Tucking her head underneath his chin, he placed a kiss against her forehead. Alice found herself melting into his embrace, and for some strange reason, tears leaked from her eyes. She buried her face into his chest and breathed in his intoxicating scent.

"I wish he had known you," Alice whispered.

Ace did not respond but rather tightened his embrace.