10 // black hat.

_____________________________

10 // black hat.

The clinic buzzed with people on that Saturday morning. The whole ride there had been a whole intense stage of pure awkwardness.

I didn't want to describe what I felt as I straddled Wrens naked body. I didn't even want to describe what it felt like as we stared into each others eyes after he picked his head up from off of my shoulders. My whole body shivered as it felt like he was looking right into my mind and reading me. I got up and ran out of that room as fast as my pregnant body would let me.

Now, we sat in the waiting room, awaiting our names to be called. Wren, who sat beside me, annoyingly drummed his fingers against the arm rest of his chair. He had clothes on now, thank god. However, it would take a miracle if I ever managed to erase the fresh image of his naked body out of my head.

Other pregnant woman sat in the waiting area with us, nurses walked up and down the halls, the phone rang every few minutes and then finally we were called up.

"Cavora?" A nurse in blue scrubs called out.

Wren and I stood up simultaneously. We followed behind the nurse in silence.

"Your doctor will be with you in a few minutes," The nurse smiled as she opened a room for us. She was a young nurse with short brown hair and wide brown eyes.

I walked into the small room first . It looked like any regular hospital room I'd been in in the last several months but this time there was a white ultrasound machine with a computer screen.

I laid down on the blue hospital cot that had a sheet of white paper rolled across it. Wren pulled up a chair beside the bed and sat on it. His fingers were no longer drumming against the arm rest; they were now clasped together in his lap.

"Can you pass me that blanket?" I asked, rolling my head to face Wren.

"What?" He questioned, as if realizing that it was him whom I was speaking to. "Oh, yeah," he got up and retrieved the dark blue wool blanket off of the counter for me.

I unfolded the blanket and settled it over the lower half of my body; right under my stomach. I knew wearing a dress to an ultrasound wasn't the brightest of ideas but with the warm weather outside, it was hard to pass up.

One knock on the door and before we could say 'come in' Dr. Morris walked in, his dark olive skin contrasted against his white lab coat.

"Good morning Mr. Cavora, Ms. Wright," the Doctor smiled. He went over to the counter and washed his hands before sliding on a pair of white gloves. "How have you been, Lesra?" he asked with his back faced towards us.

"I've been good, Doctor." I replied.

"Any symptoms you've been experiencing?"

"Just the usual fatigue, a little bit of nausea here and there. My breast seem to have tripled in size," I added.

Wren gave a barely audible chuckle before turning it into a quick cough.

"That's normal," Dr. Morris said, his attention more concentrated on setting up the machine. I had a ton more pregnancy symptoms that were normal at my stage but I was too embarrassed to announce them around Wren.

"Roll your dress up for me please," Dr. Morris said.

I did as he said.

He squeezed the chilly gel over my exposed abdomen before using the transducer wand to rub over the area. A black and white grainy image appeared on the screen. I didn't understand some of the images on the ultrasound screen but as the doctor began to point things out, certain body parts became clearer. There goes the little baby.