Chapter 15.

After the little fight with Bruce, we parted ways and I got back into my apartment to clean up. My Sunday was spent in silence with a good book and no effort to socialise at all.

Then Monday came. I had spent a good night's sleep and got up in time without having to hurry for work. At least that was what I thought until I stepped outside and was blinded not by the sun, but a bright flash of a camera.

"Ms. Benton what's your relationship with Bruce Wayne?"

"How long have you and Bruce been together?"

"Tell us more about you and Bruce, Jane!"

I froze in shock. Just think about me, he said. Ignore the press, he said.

I repeated those phrases in my mind over and over again until I finally managed to lift a foot and walk towards the train station. Of course, that didn't stop the reporters from following me. I hurried down the hallways and just when I arrived at the tracks, I saw the subway coming and started to run.

Probably not the best idea to let them take photos of me running inside the train, but I sighed in relief when the doors shut and I was left alone. I glanced around and smiled awkwardly at the people staring, then I tried to hide myself in a corner which proved itself to be impossible, but I tried.

When I got off the train and closer to the Wayne Tower it did not get any better. When I finally got near the huge street which led to the entrance of the building, I stopped walking and hid around one of the corners.

There were dozens of reporters!

Just when I thought about calling in sick and going back home, a car pulled up beside me.

"Need a lift?" Someone said as the window rolled down. Dean!

"You're my saviour!" I breathed as I climbed into the front seat next to him.

"Well I heard something different." He laughed as he continued to drive and I groaned.

"That was quick, considering you always claim not to care about office gossip." I countered and he laughed again.

"Sorry to be the one to break it down to you, but this is much more than mere office gossip."

I sighed in defeat and sunk down deeper into the seat. This would be a rough day.

We entered the underground parking lot of the Wayne Tower and got out of Dean's car and into the elevator. First, we made our way up to the office for our weekly team meeting where I got quite a few weird looks, especially from some of the female co-workers. I tried my best to ignore them.

Finally, we arrived on our floor and got off the elevator. I heard Dean chuckling behind me.

"At least you're having fun." I rolled my eyes while, walking over to my office.

"You'll have some fun, too, I reckon." He wiggled his eyebrows, pointing in the direction of my office. I followed his gaze and saw Mary standing in the door frame qith crossed arms.

I shoot Dean one more salty look, then motioned for Mary to get into my office and closed the door behind me.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She immediately complained with a look full of reproach.

"Because it's nothing serious." I stated while setting down my bag.

"Nothing serious? It's in the goddamn news Jane!" She exclaimed and I sighed.

"I know and it's not like I wanted it to be. We went out once. I was just unlucky enough to get caught on camera that's all."

"So what exactly is happening now?" She asked me apologetically.

"I don't know. I told him that this wasn't a good idea and that we should stop this before it gets out of hand, but he said I should ignore the press. Which is easier said than done. I was chased here this morning. Dean saved me by pulling up next to me in his car." I sighed again and Mary frowned.

"I just don't even know what he wants from me, you know? I mean, we all know he's a notorious playboy and, before you ask, no I didn't even kiss him. He's not even making any moves on me, although he's extremely nice, but then again that is kind of odd, too right?" I plopped down in the office chair behind my desk. "He's just so smooth with words that I agreed on seeing him again, despite this mess of a situation."

"Do you like him?" Mary continued to ask and I shrugged.

"I can't really say that yet. We only went out once." I got from my chair again and grabbed some papers I needed for our weekly meeting which would take place in a few minutes. "And now let's go before we run late."

Once we exited my office we hurried over to our meeting room, catching up with Dean again half way. We entered the familiar meeting room and found Mr. Fox already sitting in one of the chairs.

"Good morning everyone, Ms. Benton." He remarked and I blushed, immediately knowing what he was getting at.

Of course Mr. Fox was my direct superior, but then again he was also the CEO of Wayne Enterprises and no sympathy in the world would protect me from losing my job if this affected my work in any way.

"Good morning Mr. Fox." I hastily greeted and sat down on one of the chairs, smoothening out my skirt.

We discussed the usual topics and if there was a possibility to increase our efficiency any way. After agreeing on this week's main focus and projects we were dismissed.

"Ms. Benton could you stay behind a minute?" Mr. Fox requested and I agreed, exchanging questioning looks with Dean and Mary before they left the room.

"Mr. Fox..." I started awkwardly prepared to talk about the commotion concerning Bruce, but he raised his hand to silence me.

"Ms. Benton, your university thesis focused on sonar projects, correct?"

"Uhm, yes that is correct, Sir." I nodded, surprised that we were actually talking about something work related.

"Fantastic. You're getting a new project from me. We got a special request for a special sonar technology." He turned around his laptop to show me the details.

"You need me to write a program which enables smartphones to send out high frequency pulses?" I asked in disbelief, but Mr. Fox only nodded.

"We can't choose our clients, Ms. Benton. Will you be able to do it in a week?"

I frowned for a second thinking about what kind of adjustments would have to be made on a phone to use this kind of technology.

"It should be possible." I agreed and Mr. Fox smiled contently.

"Wonderful. Feel free to use office 391 and let me know if there are any materials you need."

With that he closed his laptop and held the door for me.