Chapter 32.

Looking up at the noise from the door, he lifted his head and a wicked smile appeared as he recognized my face.

"Ohhh, look who we have here. Jane, what a pleasure that we meet again after such a long time."

I stepped out of the shadow surrounding me and heard the door close behind my body with a heavy thud.

I took the chance to look around the room. Grey, empty walls. The only exception being the black reflecting area of the window leading to the room next door. The room was dimly lit, the only light shining close to the only pieces of furniture in the room, the table the Joker was sitting at, illuminating him just enough to make out the details of his face.

I felt alone and extradited, but I tried to keep a calm and unfazed demeanour although I could feel my hands become sweaty and my muscles tensing up. My brain was in overdrive trying to find an appropriate answer.

"The pleasure is all mine." I replied as I walked over to the chair on the opposite side of the Joker. A high-pitched laugh escaped his lips and he threw his head back before looking me in the eyes again.

Before sitting down on the chair, I let my eyes wander across his face and his body. His make-up was smudged and the black circles surrounding his eyes had started to run down his cheeks where it mixed with the usually thick white paint. Seeing blotches of his skin made him look slightly vulnerable, but I knew that he wasn't. As far as I could see his dark purple suit was in perfect condition apart from the suit jacket missing which revealed a green vest that usually didn't attract a lot of attention.

Of course his hands were in handcuffs, but they didn't make him any less intimidating. I knew he would be able to induce enough damage with them on his wrists if he wanted to. They would never be enough to stop him from doing something he wanted to do. And besides, his words were his most dangerous weapon.

"You know that's why I like you Jane. You're so cooperative. I wanted to speak to you and you actually came. Who knew things could be so easy?" He continued and I immediately felt stupid for entering the room. Why had I expected to have the upper hand in this conversation? He was right. I had listened to his request like a puppet. He had taken control over my life once more and I had voluntarily given it to him.

"Especially after you've left me high and dry without giving me a chance to find you. When I found out that you had lost your job I was on my way to help you like the good person I am, but I had to find your apartment abandoned. Is that how you treat a friend Jane?"

I couldn't help the short, almost silent laugh that escaped my lips.

"A friend?" I repeated and the firm sound of my voice surprised me as well. "Your understanding of friendship must differ heavily from mine if that's what you consider a friendship. Is that really how you treat friends?"

I raised my eyes to meet his and he leaned forward on his chair, preparing to tell me something with an even broader smile. He rested his elbows on the table, cuffed hands on full display.

"I don't have friends Jane. But I do enjoy fun and you, you are entertaining me unlike anybody else. I really appreciate your presence and seeing you today has proven me right once again. You're full of surprises. Who would have thought it would be Harvey Dent that would make you come back to me?" The hands he had raised in front of his mouth while talking hid half of his face and the look in his eyes was unreadable to me. "What happened to sweet little Bruce?"

I raised my eyebrows at his question.

"I guess that's what you're going to tell me now, aren't you?" I replied and I could see the skin crinkling around his eyes.