Chapter 20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Oliver~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked towards Mom, she was glaring at me with so much anger that I wished I could disappear from there.
"You knew?", She asked Julianne.

"Er.. I got to know yesterday", she answered hesitatingly.

"You took her on a dinner date to tell her about another girl!", Mom shouted at me.

"It was not like that mom. Look mom I am sorry, I never meant to hurt you or Julianne."

"Well if you did not intend to hurt us then just forget that girl and marry Julianne".

"I can't. I love her".

My reply made her even more furious. She was fuming in anger. "Well, if you have already made up your mind then there is no point arguing, isn't it? But let me tell you one thing Oliver, you have proved that you are not my biological son".

"Rose, what are you saying", Dad stood up to speak up for me but I stopped him.
Her words caused extreme grieve to my heart. It felt like she just disowned me. My feet froze to the ground and my head felt so light that I could fall any moment.

"Mom, please don't say so. I am sorry", I moved forward and held her hands.
I saw tears in her eyes which made me vulnerable.

"How does it matter to you. You are an adult, you can take your own decisions", she said taking her hands back.

"Mom you know it's not like that. Please give me a chance to prove that she is the one for me", I pleaded.

She looked towards Julianne and Julianne nodded at her. Then she turned her gaze upon me and said, "Fine, then prove it. You have a month's time to make her ready. I will test her after one month. But mind you, she has to be perfect in every way possible. If I still find her not a good match for you, then you'll marry Julianne."

Is she serious? What have I done.

"But how would I make sure that you are being fair? If you refuse her even after you find her perfect then?"

"If that was the case, then I would not be discussing this deal with you. And you know I am not a deal breaker. Plus there will be rules clearly stated to you before the test and I'll give valid reasons if I'll reject her. But I must say that you yourself doesn't seem quite confident about your girl", she said smugly.

"I have full faith in Samantha. I am sure she'll pass all your tests. Thanks for considering my request Mom". I was relieved to have convinced her to atleast consider it.

"I love you son and that is why I want the best for you. Julianne is the best in my eyes. I am telling this again so that it would be clear in your mind what you are up against".

I just nodded in response.

"Ollie, you're here. Nobody told me you are coming", voice of my little sister Claire brought me back to the ground.

I turned around to see. She had just entered the house carrying her backpack. She ran towards me and hugged me tightly.

"Hey little Sis, what are you eating these days, you look taller".

"I have started swimming classes recently. Plus if you'll visit after months then this is bound to happen."

"Really? Then I'll suggest dad to elevate the roof a few feet high coz very soon you'll be touching the roof."

"Shut up! Come I have to show you something", she said dragging me towards her bedroom and I followed.

On my way to Claire's room I saw my Mom taking Julianne in another room discussing something. I still had some doubts about mom's intentions, but I had to trust her for now.

I felt bad for Julianne. She was extremely supportive throughout. I was being skeptical about her unnecessarily.

Claire peeked outside before closing the door of her room as we entered. "Ollie, is it true?" She asked.

"What is true?"

"That you are marrying Julianne!"

"No, I am not marrying her".

"Really, good!", She chuckled.

I was confused to see her reaction. "Why good?"

"Good coz I know that you love Samantha, your PA", she said jumping on her bed.

"You knew? How? Who told you?", I was surprised.

"Well, I guessed it that day when I came to your office. The way you were behaving in front of her, it was obvious bro".

"Really, am I that obvious", this new fact made me a little uncomfortable and more conscious about myself.

"I am not sure about others, but I m your sister. I know you in and out. So it was clear to me atleast. But I am happy. I like Samantha. Although I am not so sure about Mom".

"You bet."

"What do you mean?"

And then I told her all about me and mom's conversations and the deal she made to me which Claire listened to with her mouth dropped to the ground and eyes wide open.

"Holy cow of Jesus, what the hell, so, I mean, what the fu...", She was just cursing and cursing .

"I know. I shouldn't have made such a deal", I said.

"Shouldn't have. Mustn't have. You know Mom. She'll snatch the life out of Sam's body. What have you done. You know her expectations. And Sam. She is so innocent, so simple, unlike Mom".

I knew and understood exactly what she was saying but I had no choice now. The deal was done. The only thing which I could do now was to prepare Sam in everyway possible for my mom's test.

"We have so much to do", Claire said frantically moving around her bedroom.

"We?"

"Yeah, we, you obviously cannot do this alone. You'll need help. A lot of help", she said rolling her eyes.

She was right. I will be needing help and Claire was the best person to ask for as she knows mom in and out in a way no one else does. Not even dad.

################################

New twist to the story. Do comment and tell how is the story going so far. Are you guys liking it?

Suggestions please?

What are your thoughts about Oliver's  Mom and Claire?

I'm imagining Emma Roberts as Claire.