Ch. 3 Careful what you wish for

The self-proclaimed queen towered over me, from her back four wings unfolded, and glowed a bright golden color, as her hands waved about. A shower of golden dust drifted through the air. It washed over me, and I felt my body ache.

My cries grew louder as the pain grew stronger. "What are you doing?" I wrapped my arms around myself, and bent over on my knees. A surge of electricity shot through me, and without warning I blacked out.

In my head I saw flashing images: a fearsome beast, a wailing witch, the loudest wind, and stars. Countless stars, falling all around me, burning everything they touched.

The words she spoke whispered through my mind, over and over, before I jolted awake.

My body was in a new world of pain, as I rose to my feet, and stared down the so-called queen. 

"What did you do to me?" My hands grasped the sides of my head, as I shut my eyes tight, trying to sober up.

The woman smiled wide, and said, "Why, dear child, I've granted your wish." Her smile slowly matched the terror that was beginning to grab hold of me. 

"What does that mean? I didn't make a wish."

"See for yourself," she said, stepping to one side to reveal a girl standing behind her.

The girl was young, she couldn't have been older than I was. Her hair was a bright blonde color, her skin fair, with the greenest eyes I'd ever seen, they illuminated her face. Dread soon came rushing in when I recognized the girl before me; it was me.

I stumbled backwards. "N-no, that's not possible," I said, forcing a smile, with my head tilted. Hoping this wasn't happening. 

The woman put her arms around the girl and held her close. The girl shivered with fright. "You wanted a fairy tale all your own, didn't you, child?" The woman's voice was near-broken into laughter.

My body still felt heavy, I was sluggish as I moved. "What did you do to me?" I screamed.

This wasn't happening, this couldn't be real. The other me was frozen in fear, more confused than I. I wanted to run to her, save her, but I couldn't. I could only fall to my knees, and scream, cursing the cruel twist fate had turned on me.

"Raise your head, child," the woman said, her voice echoed.

I looked up at her. My eyes became listless as their spark began to fade. "What?" My voice was barely audible. 

"Fret not, for I am fair and just," the woman said, dawning a righteous smile. "Mind the curse you've been given, find its secrets, and I shall release you from it."

My hands pressed hard into the ground, and I yelled. "I don't understand what you want me to do," I said, every word pleaded with her for clarity.

She backed away from me, the girl held close. "We'll be on our way now. If luck is on your side you just may see yourself again." 

I reached out. "Wait, where are you going? What do I do?" My voice trembled.

She grabbed the other me, and her balls of light flashed and spun around them. "Mind the curse, child. And hurry, time is not on your side," her voice faded on the wind as she, and the other me, vanished. 

I was alone, back on the side of the lonesome road, as I sobbed myself to sleep, only the fading wind that washed over me with a cool breeze to keep me company.