Ch.18 (part 2)

With the sky overhead, darkened, and the breeze that filled the night air growing, we made our way back to the campsite.

"So, you gonna tell him you know?"

I looked to the sky. "I'm not sure." I turned to Madison. "Maybe he doesn't like me in the way you're thinking."

She groaned, and crossed her arms. "Don't backpedal now."

"If you're right, this could really ruin things between us." I stared hard at the ground beneath me as we moved through the dark forest.

Madison pushed herself next to me. "And if I'm wrong, it'll just be awkward for a bit, and everything will eventually go back to normal."

There was no way Miller actually had those feelings for me. I mean, he was just fascinated by this magic stuff, right?

We neared the camp and Madison stopped me.

"I know we had this whole bonding moment, but don't go thinking anything's changed." She walked past me, and glanced over her shoulder. "You were feeling down, we were alone, I was just repaying the favor. So get rid of any thoughts you have that we'd be besties or whatever now. You're still a freak, and I'm still fabulous." She turned away from me.

She lasted longer than I thought. But in the end, she's still Madison. What was I really expecting?

I smiled, and walked past her. My hand placed on her shoulder. "Sure thing, brat." I winked, and walked on ahead.

In the brief moment I glanced back I could have sworn she smiled. But that would be ridiculous.

We walked into the campsite, and Madison wandered off somewhere near the stream. Bobby was over in a corner, arms folded as he leaned against a large rock. I scanned the site for Miller.

"If you're looking for him, he's gathering firewood," Bobby said, without looking in my direction. His arms still crossed, and his eyes shut tight.

I nodded, and ventured off into the patch of forest ahead of me.

What was I even going to say? Sorry for slapping you, but you totally deserved it? The thought of losing him as a friend cut like a knife. Should I tell him what Madison said?

Lost in thought, I hadn't noticed Miller ahead of me.

We bumped into one another, and fell to the ground.

I looked up, my backside sore. "Miller."

He got to his knees, and grabbed for the wood he dropped. "Oh. Hey." He sulked, distant.

I lost any clear indication of what it was I would say. Of what it was I could say.

He stood. "Well, see you at the campsite."

I jumped to my feet. "Wait."

He stoppped. Great, now what would I say?

He looked at me. He looked through me. "What is it?"

I panicked. My heart raced. I couldn't focus. "I.."

He waited. His patience thinned. "Well?"

Just say you're sorry. Say it. Even if you don't mean it. Say it. "Miller..."

He raised an eyebrow, and shifted the wood he carried. "This is pretty heavy. So, I'm going to head back now." He turned, and walked ahead of me.

I balled up my fist. What was my problem, he's right there in front of me. And here I am, frozen in place like an idiot.