Ch. 7 - Far and away (part 1 of 3)

I felt around the cold, dark room I seemed trapped in. My hands searched the cool, stone walls as I found my way to my feet. The only light in the otherwise pitch-black room was coming from a window, carved into the stone.

My heart gripped tightly in my chest as I made my way to the window, following along the wall. The silence so thick I could hear the heavy beating of my heart as it wailed against my chest.

My hands grabbed hold of the stone ledge, and I gazed out in hopes of some enlightenment. Where exactly was I?

Hundreds of feet below my towering prison were acres of sprawling forest, treetops painted shades of green, and red, blending off into the fettering of night. Large open fields with strange structures erected atop them, winding waters burrowing through the landscape. And standing out above it all were the glittering array of lights that occupied the night sky. Dancing on the very air itself. Beaming in their brilliance as they swayed to and fro to music only they could hear.

Breathtaking

I was mystified by the awestruck beauty of it all, and if not for the encumbrance of my current situation maybe I'd have enjoyed it a little more.

I pressed my hands into the stone ledge, the gravity of it all fell over me. This strange place's beauty could not distract me enough from the silent truth stirring within. My hand clutched tight against my chest, I dropped my gaze, and closed my eyes.

"Where am I?" My voice a soft murmur, met by a steady stream of tears, loudly cascading down my face.

I bent over, my body leaned into the ledge. Swallowed air turned light gasps into heavy breaths as I moaned. The emotion waited on the surface for me to reach out, but try as I might I could not. Even knowing it was there, feeling it so strongly wash over me, grab hold of me, I couldn't grasp it. I couldn't find a way to express this storm. So like a storm it raged incoherently.

My head shot up, and I saw myself, from the outside looking in. My blonde hair shone even through the dark blanket of night, and my emerald-green eyes were envied by the stars. Tears ran down my porcelain skin, and in a hushed, breathy whisper that rang out, I said, "Help."

                                                                      *************

I sprang up in bed. My chest was on fire, and I felt disoriented, like I'd been ripped from something. The force with which I hurried from my slumber had caused the closet door to slam shut, and pictures on the walls had fallen. I looked about the darkness of my bedroom, sweat-covered, but safe. 

Where I was, what I saw, and felt, it all seemed so far and away. A dream but not a dream. That was me. I was certain of it. Is that where the other me had been taken? Were we linked in some way? My head hurt from the insanity. That's what this was. Insane. But, it was also real. I knew that much. The question swirling around in my head now, stealing glances from the shadows, was if I was.

I laid back down on my pillow, and surrendered to sleep, wiping away any thoughts of existence. At least for tonight. Tomorrow was another day.