22 ☽

Morganna's dark circled eyes rimmed with red. Evidence shown, of the endless tears she had shed.

Violated physically, mentally, and emotionally, there was nothing left to grasp onto. She's alone again. Thankfully so now.

Adonis, is gone. He almost killed her and by no fault of his own. He's no longer the man, the wolf, or anything she recognizes. Whatever they injected him with, had helped drive him into madness.

They were both vessels of the Vasile's greed.

There was no life left in her, other than the new life growing inside of her. Or, so she's been told just hours ago. The wolf to come, surely to be brought into this horrible underworld. A product, left for them to put a barcode on.

She had lost close to twenty pounds since her capture, which was a lot considering her thin frame to begin with. Unable to eat from stress and the hatred that festered within, all she wanted was to know anything about Benjamin. Did he live? Was he near?

They wouldn't answer her questions. They only eluded, that he was somewhere between safe and dead. Like the rest of them, she presumed.

Morganna's state, is at the forefront of concern for Darius and his business partners. They stared at her through the glass where the pregnant wolf couldn't see them, but she was well aware that they were there. Still, she had no energy left within her to scream or even move. She simply sat at the foot of her bed, staring out into nothing on the walls.

"Pretty soon we're going to have to put a food tube in her, but there's no guarantee that she won't rip it out of her." Darius' fingers rested on his lips as he struggled to find a solution. "She's practically become a vegetable."

James reflected Darius' mannerisms, trying to think of ways to get some weight on her.

It was then that the unexpected source of enlightenment spoke up. "Let her mate stay with her. Get Benjamin out of isolation." Marie chirped, as all eyes turned to her. "It will give her hope that she needs. It's obvious she doesn't have any will to live. I've seen this before with mates. More often than not, actually. Maybe the former alpha will get her to eat. She'll listen to him. It'll give her something to hold on to."

"She's right." Ingrid agreed.

Darius scooped his wife's face into his hands and gave her a loving kiss, impressed with the way her mind worked.

***

The large and tawny form of Fang paced back and forth in the new prison he called home. In his blind, feral rage, he's staring down at the familiar face on the other side of the thick glass. A shatterproof pane separated the two werewolves, who had once shared an alliance bound by saving their species.

Benjamin, alpha of the Seattle territory, stared back at Adonis, a wolf who lost touch with himself. What was staring back at Benjamin was no longer the friend of the pack he had once known, but an animal in its truest form. It went beyond that of the wolf. What Benjamin stared at, was sheer insanity.

Benjamin didn't dare speak another word to him, after Adonis had ran at full speed into the glass pane. Days had passed like this, with Benjamin watching the stalking aggressor on the other side of the invisible glass.

The months went by and still, Benjamin didn't know what the Vasiles planned on doing with him. Soon, however, he expected that he'd end up much like his once friend before him. Tears glazed over Benjamin's eyes at the failure of being the protector of his pack, his dread over what was happening to Morganna weighing heaviest on his conscious.

His love, his mate as both wolf and man. Without her, he's incomplete and half of himself. In his heart, he feels her. He knows, that something is terribly wrong.

As the buzzer sounded overhead, Benjamin jumped to his feet.

Adonis acted as a trained dog at the sound, moving backwards toward the far wall and putting his palms against the surface.

This time, however, they weren't coming for Adonis.

Gas released into Benjamin's side of the room. He coughed against the familiar poison. It brought him to his knees as it weekend his rigid muscles, while a pair of vampire guards rushed him to restrain his hands and feet. He tries to shift in vain, finding half-form before the gas does its job to prevent what's already so controlled.

The chains rattled as he's escorted to an unfamiliar wing. His brow furrowed as he tried to predict what the vamps had in store for him next.

The door opened and the sight before him nearly brought him to his knees in agony.

Till this moment, Benjamin had been compliant with the vampires, but the sight had enraged him. The wolf inside of him growled as Morganna's broken eyes locked onto his. As he thrashes, throwing one vampire to the far wall to break him in half, he's tased before he can get to the other guards.

The vampire guard spoke as he retracts the weapon, "You do anything else and we won't hesitate to kill you."

Benjamin sobered to the best of his abilities against the shock-waves after they left. When he finds strength, he's rushing up to the ghost of Morganna.

"Mon petite coeur." He utters softly in her native language through tears, hoping the phrase he's spoken to her so many times will rejuvenate her. A phrase he once used upon meeting her to put her in the category of a child, but turned into his truth in his regard for her. She alone, held his heart.

Now, he's a disgraced alpha, on his knees, begging silently for her eyes to find life.

To her shrinking thighs, his hands are wrapped around, till they move up to frame her gaunt face. Her cheekbones prominent against her paling flesh, Benjamin has never felt more helpless as her protector.

"What did they do to you, Morganna?" Benjamin breaks out a gusty sob as he struggled to gain recognition from her. A light finally flickered in her gaze, the first sign of life he could conjure from her.

"Je t'aime de tout mon coeur..." She replies her usual response to his initial greeting, with tears that barely formed from her dehydration.

Benjamin reaches for a nearby bottle of water as he noticed her trembling dry lips.

"Drink, mon coeur." He ordered her.

She does so, slowly taking the hydration she needs from his sturdy hand to hold the bottle for her.

After several minutes passed of Morganna just stroking the hair that framed his face, she took in the full bottle.

Holding her, he's keeping back the questions he wants to ask about everything that's happened to her. Eventually, he gets her to eat something. No vampires come and Benjamin's certain, he's been sent here to save her life.

Soon enough, she goes to sleep. In the hours that pass, he's watching over her with grave concern. She looked like death, smelled of it, and Benjamin even wondered if she would make it through the night.

***

//Soundtrack song: "Bleed out" - Blue October