Chapter 4/I'm Special

*REMEMBER TO VOTE!*

A lot to talk about is an understatement. I have questions what the heck a hybrid is. Why do we have to keep this at all a secret? How does Derek know my mother? Am I going to start a war? Who was the other girl to be a hybrid? What do the snowflakes and 'X's stand for? I don't ask any of those, I just listen.

"A lot of people already have suspicions that there is a new hybrid roaming our halls. None of them know it's you though." She says while pouring some tea into two cups.

"Why is it bad for people to know I am a hybrid?" I ask. She takes a sip of her tea and hands me the other cup.

"I was there when the last hybrid was in this school. At first she was happy she had friends. Then the teachers and students saw her grades. They were excellent. The best in all her classes. Everybody thought she had a advantage because she was part vampire and part werewolf. She pleaded her powers weren't a cheat. It was actually a handicap to her. So much power in a 16 year old girl's hands? How could she ever control it?" She closes her eyes for a second looking like she is fighting tears back.

"Did she ever control it? Her powers?" I ask.

"No, she didn't have anybody to help her so she couldn't control her powers and...she died." At least what I heard about the last hybrid from Derek and that other girl was the same as what Mrs.Ladova is telling me now.

"That doesn't mean I will die. I could live." She looks at me. "I can control this. It doesn't seem that hard. I don't care what people think of me."

"But we can't let people know, it's too dangerous." I look at my tea. My grip gets tighter.

"Why is it too dangerous, do you think I am going to start a war or something?"

"How did you-" She stop talking.

"Do you think the prophecy or whatever is true? Do you think I will start a war?" I cross my legs. She doesn't respond. "So you do?"

"Look Elizabeth, I am trying to help you right now. I can only do so much."

"Just let me go to classes for both Vampire and Werewolf! I don't care that people will find out-" Mrs.Ladova stands up.

"Well I do!" She sighs. "I knew this girl personally. It wasn't just her power that drove her mad. It was that everybody was ignoring her, looking at her strangely. People will do that to you too?" I wonder what the girl was to Mrs.Ladova? Friend? Sister? Daughter?

"I'm different from her Mrs.Ladova. I can handle people thinking I'm weird. I know half the girls here and they ignore me so I think I'm ready. I'm not like the other Hybrid."

"On the contrary Elizabeth. You are exactly like her." Silence. She knew that girl well so she must be right. "But I don't know, maybe things have changed. Maybe kids are a little less aggressive when it comes to being different."

"We're all different right? When you think about it. My parents aren't monsters like us." When I said monsters I thought she was going to contradict me and say we aren't, but she doesn't.

"Yes well your parents went both to the other school."

"What is the other school anyway?"

"You'll find out soon enough." I sigh.

"So have you made a decision?" Mrs.Ladova looks at her desk.

"Yes I think I have-" She looks up and the next thing I see is she uses her vampire speed, opens the door, and throws somebody into the room.

"Ow. You didn't need to throw me in! You could've just asked politely to get my butt into the room." I look at the man and see who it is. Derek.

"What the heck did you think you were doing? Spying on a private conversation?"