Part 8: Willful Witnesses

That night is the first night Keith witnesses one of the infamous nightmares. He's woken up by the mattress shifting next to him and small breathy noises. He rolls over, half expecting Lance to just be settling back into bed after using the bathroom, when he gets a good look at the boy next to him. Keith is instantly awake. Lance has gritted his teeth and his fingers clutch the sheets so tightly that his knuckles turn white. His hair is slicked to his forehead with sweat, the hairs on his skin are raised, and he trembles violently. Shallow, desperate breaths pass through his nose.

"Lance!" Keith worries. He wraps his arms around him and begins to stroke his hair. Lance's body is stiff and taut.

"Lance, Lance, shhhhh, wake up," He whispers louder. He runs his hands over Lance's arms and sides in a coaxing motion. Lance's hands loosen their grip on the sheets and his eyes, that were clenched shut, seem to relax and flutter open just a tad. His body goes limp against Keith's hands.

"Keith?" His voice is wrecked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here. It's ok. You're safe. Everyone's safe. It was just a bad dream." Keith presses their foreheads together and continues to rub circles against Lance's bony shoulders.

"Oh, Keith," Half dazed, but desperate and shaking, Lance pushes forward and wraps his arms around Keith's shoulders. He buries his face in Keith's neck and presses their bodies together.

"Keith, Keith," He breathes against Keith's skin.

"I'm here, I'm here." Keith's hands begin to tangle themselves in Lance's hair and stroke invisible lines up and down his spine. Tears prickle at the corner of his eyes. He has Lance completely wrapped up in his arms. The other boy clings to him and is panting his name, but it's not in the context he's always desired. He can't have this. Not really. Not in the way he wants. Not in the way his body craves.

"Keith... need you...."

"I know. I've got you." And it's too much. Keith presses his face into the side of Lance's head, hoping his tears will disappear in the short, brown hair there.

...

Keith wakes up, and he thinks he might have actually woken up before Lance for once, until he sees the other boy laying beside him with his eyes open and hands tucked behind his head in thought. Keith's breathing changes and Lance notices.

"Hey," he gives a sleepy smile.

"Hey," Keith croaks. "Are you ok? Did you....?"

"I'm fine." Lance laughs. "Thanks to you."

Keith's chest tightens. No. He does not need this first thing in the morning.

"It's nothing. I told you I would help you."

"Yeah well," Lance rolls over and touches Keith's shoulder. "I was really in a bad way last night. That's what I'd been dealing with on my own this whole time."

"Jesus, Lance. I wish you'd told me sooner."

"It's fine. You were there for me yesterday. You did everything I needed and more." Lance tries to laugh away his embarrassment. "I really owe you."

"Mmmm, breakfast in bed sure sounds nice." Keith offers. Lance chuckles and the sound warms Keith's stomach better than hot tea ever could.

"If that's what you want."

They lay there for some time, breathing in the smell of citrus and black pepper permanently embedded into Keith's sheets, though Lance's side has started to smell more like him. Keith's noticed the smell of ocean spray lingering even when Lance is no longer around.

"Keith,"

"Hmm?"

"You've really helped me. And I think I'm ready to start trying to sleep in my own room again."

It feels like someone has whipped Keith's warm blanket off of him. His body freezes and the wind is knocked out of him.

"O...oh?"

"Yeah," Lance sighs. "It's about time I give it another shot. I can't sleep with you forever now."

You could though. Oh god, you could. Keith wants to whisper the words into his mouth. His lips look soft again. With his improved sleep pattern, he's stopped chewing on them excessively.

"You... You can always come back. If you need I mean."

"I know." Lance beams. "And that's why I think I'll be able to do it.".

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

Keith, your gay is showing😊

Not my work- belongs to Trashness on ao3