Heavy Secrets

--Eloise--

Mom and Dad...who exactly are you two? What did you want from me? What are you keeping from me? 

I knew that I wasn't their real child. I was adopted, younger than I could even remember anything. Mom couldn't conceive was what they had told me, so they decided to adopt. But, they loved me all the same. Even when Sam was finally born to them, never had I once felt like anything else than their real daughter. 

That was all it was. I was a nobody before and after they had adopted me. I was nobody 'special', I was just a kid without a family. It's happened to many children around the world, how was I any different? 

I needed them to explain that to me.

I glanced at the clock, impatiently watching every second tick by. I want answers now. I refuse to turn a blind eye to this. I want the truth about something for once.

It's been 10 minutes already. How long do they expect this to stall for?

I glanced back at them, agitated. No. I can't lose my cool now. If I do, then there's nothing I'll get out of this. They'll find my anger as an excuse to fire up their own and start a fight, killing the perfect moment for an explanation.

My eyes eventually gave up their patience and glared them down. My parents were always like this when driven into a corner. No fight, just cowardice. They used it when they married me off to a fucking perv and they haven't changed since then on my wedding day.

I breathed out a heated sigh, bringing my shaky hand up to massage my temples before suddenly slamming it down onto the coffee table.

"JUST TELL ME ALREADY! TELL ME WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON!"

Shit...I let my temper loose, my teeth biting down on my lip in regret a second later. But, surprisingly, they didn't react the way I'd thought they would. Instead, another wave of guilt washed over their faces. WHAT?! What is it?! I've been wondering for so long! Just, tell me already!

I waited, searching for their downcast faces. For something. Anything!

Nothing...

My head hung in loss. I let out a suffocatingly deep breath. It helped calm my temper a bit. "Why?" I started. "Why can't you tell me? Is it that bad? Are you scared of what I will think of you if you do?" I tried to reason in order to get them to weedle even the smallest thing out. 

....

Again, they didn't respond. I clenched my jaw. My bottom lip suddenly began to quiver. Goddammit! Just say something! I don't care what it is!

Their silence was ten times heavier on my conscious than any argument we could have had. The thought of your parents keeping you in the dark about what they really thought of you as was agonizing.

Whatever. This clearly was no going anywhere and screaming at them wasn't about to help. I stood up to excuse myself when something finally came out of my father's mouth.

"We don't want to tell you because we love you, Eloise. That's the only reason why. We loved you so much that we became too selfish to do what was right. Until  eventually, we were backed into a corner," he explained, furowing my eyebrows at the cryptic message. 

"What? What did you do?" I urged, trying to keep my voice as soft and understanding as possible. Just give it to me straight already! My mother shook her head sadly.

"Not now, baby." She looked up at me with wet eyes and smiled. It was painful to look at – so strained. No matter what they had done, it still hurt to see the mother that raised you make a face like that. "It's your wedding day. You already have enough stress." They both stood up and I gaped in disbelief. That was it?! Why were they acting like everything was okay and just leaving after telling me absolutely nothing?!