Chapter Fifty-Four

The world around May and her mother seemed to freeze. Even her breath hitched in her throat. Only her heartbeat hammered onwards, pounding harder over her mother's words.
"Are you saying you know something that could help me stop the Loyals?"

Tiio shifted where she sat on the edge of the tub, her face drawn tight with discomfort. "Perhaps. I'm not sure to be honest but it could be a good place to start."

May's body tingled with anticipation, like the time Em took her on a roller coaster; fear and excitement sizzling beneath her skin. She leaned in closer to her mother.

"Okay, tell me."

Her mother sighed and twisted her hands in her lap. "Before you left, your father and I told you about your birth parents and that they were the reason our island was ravaged all those years ago."

May nodded. She remembered that conversation vividly - after all, it had changed her world.

"The Loyals were probably looking for them because they'd used the wishing star to have me."

"That's..." Tiio paused, taking her daughter in with guilty eyes. "Part of the story, yes. But there's more to it than that."

May's heart skipped. "You said they didn't tell you anything. You said they were trying to keep you safe."

"I know I did, honey."

"You lied."

"It seems we all do foolish things when we think it will keep the ones we love safe." Tiio's look was knowing. May sat back and let out a slow, calming exhale.

"So, what didn't you tell me?" May asked.

Tiio held out her hands, palms up, in a gesture of peace. May took them gently and let her mother hold her as she spoke.

"Your birth parents' names are Dawn and Oliver Gardener. They were criminals; career thieves."

Shocked, May's mouth fell open. Of all the things she had expected her mother to say, that hadn't been one of them.

"According to your mother-"

"Stop," May interrupted. It was Tiio's turn to blink in surprise. "You're my mother. I don't know these people."

"Alright then." Tiio smiled softly. "According to Dawn, they were looking to get out of it. They wanted to settle down, start a family. They wanted an honest life. It was Oliver's idea to go after one last prize - something he hoped would bring them enough money to get out of stealing for good. So they decided to make their last hit count, and they went after something that had apparently been causing quite a stir. Neither of them realized what they had until after they had stolen it."

May's head spun.

"Oh no," she whispered faintly. "No, no, no."

Tiio answered with a grim nod. "I'm afraid so."

"They stole the wishing star."

"Like I said, they didn't realize what it was until after they had it," Tiio reasoned. "All they knew was it was a highly sought after artifact. It was only in the frenzy the theft caused that they discovered 'the wishing star' wasn't just some fancy name - it was an actual star, and the reason everyone wanted it was because it could grant its holder anything their heart desired."

The implications of this made May's stomach churn with unease. In her mind, she was back on the beach on the night Em revealed she was part Star. The wishing star's disappearance, Em had told her, was the catalyst that lead to the Loyals' rise to arms. If what Tiio said was true, then May's birth parents were responsible for lighting the match that started the blaze she now found herself up against.