Enraptured by voice, calling out

Chapter 6

As the Heathers pulled away in Heather M.'s sports SUV, Sophie was left standing on the sidewalk outside her home in the cool night air. She turned her head, taking in the sights that had once seemed so familiar, but with new eyes and a new perspective seemed so different. Looking around at the neighboring homes, she suddenly felt self-conscious and pulled her hood up past her ears, settling it on her head. She slowly padded across the yard, dew collecting on her loose sneakers. She had tied them as tightly as they would allow, but she still needed to arch her feet to keep them from slipping. Walking up to the front steps, she tried to think of what she would tell her parents.

She wondered if the wish would really make a difference. Would her parents really know who she was? Worse, she had told her mother that she had been going to the library, which had closed hours ago. Through the window, she could see that the living room light was off. Crossing her fingers, she hoped that her parents had already gone to bed.

She bent down, grabbed the fake rock from the garden near the porch and slipped the hidden key out. It seemed bigger than it used to in her new hands. Unlocking the door, she took a deep breath and hoped for the best. Past the living room, she could see that the kitchen light was on. She figured it must have been left on by mistake. They wouldn't just hang out in the kitchen at night, would they? She stepped inside and made her way to the stairs as quietly as possible. With great care, she lightly placed her foot on the bottom stair just as the lights flicked on. "Where have you been, young man?" her mother called out from behind Sophie. Sophie stiffened, being careful to not turn to face her. Even without looking she could picture her frowning, arms crossed, in her blue cotton robe and slippers. There was the sound of someone scratching a beard as well, which meant her father was down here too, likely wearing his usual pajama pants and T-shirt combination. "You said you were going to the library with Chloe almost three hours ago and that you'd be right back. I'm fine with you going out with your friends, but you need to tell us when you're going to be late, okay?" Her mother huffed, likely crossing her arms.

"I know not much happens around here, son," her father began with a sigh, "but you still need to keep your wits about you, alright?" He set his glasses down on the coffee table and rubbed his eyes. "I'm sorry that we're getting into your business, Thomas, but we're your parents. It's our job to know what's going on with you." Sophie looked down, eyeing her newly minted breasts, and silently smirked. Then they had been failing miserably. Something caught her eye. It looked like a lock of her hair had snaked its way outside of her hood.

"Thomas? Turn towards us when we're speaking to you." Her mom took a step forward after she didn't respond. "Thomas?" she said, before she paused, her eyebrows audibly furrowing. "Thomas. I understand you're frustrated with a lot of things. High school is a time of incredible change in everyone. But you can't just cut us out, okay?" She reached out to rest a hand on Sophie's shoulder, but stopped suddenly. "What's that on your shoulder, sweetie?" She took another step forward. Sophie's eyes widened in horror. She held her breath. Her mother took another step forward, growing impatient with her son's lack of response. "Is this... hair? Are you wearing a wig?" Her tone started to shift as she seemed to realize that the person standing before her was several inches shorter than the son who had recently grown taller than her. "Take off your hood, honey," she stated flatly, the tone of a worried mother gone and replaced by something more fierce.

Dad seemed to notice something was off as well. "Don't make her ask again, Thomas," he stated, placing his glasses back onto his face. Sophie's hands were suddenly the clammiest they had ever been, as she slowly reached up and grasped at the edges of her hood. Hands shaking, she sucked in a breath as she pulled the hood back and turned around to face her parents, and metaphorically, the music.