3. Hit It Like You Mean It

Tony dipped to the side, avoiding Lauren's flimsy hook.

Luc sat on wooden stairs in his yard, contemplating the training session while recovering from his own. They've recently began learning how to use their bodies to fight. He excelled at it but his sister was reluctant. Her hits were devoid of strength and determination, her arms waving around like wobbly noodles.

"Go faster and harder," he commented. "Hit it like you mean it."

Lauren twisted to look at her brother, then back at Tony. She chewed at her lower lip as she detailed his bent position, thinking she could test him with a jab and wrangle him by the neck to throw him to the ground. The vision formed so clearly in her mind it was disturbing. She chased the intrusive thought to the back of her head.

She felt it in her bones that she was capable, but she hated the very idea of hurting a living being. This whole physical training part was plain stupid. Her abilities should be enough to defend herself in case of danger.

"It's okay, Lauren," Tony reassured, straightening up. "You just need more time."

Tony knew this kid had never been keen towards violence. It would take more time for her to accept the fact that it was essential to their survival. A mutant that couldn't fight was a dead mutant. There were instances where their abilities could be neutralized. 

"I hate this." Lauren dropped her arms. "No one is going to jump me from behind."

"You have to know these things. We all use it sooner or later, you know that."

She sighed, discouraged.

"I want a break." She turned away from Tony and stepped inside the kitchen.

Lauren took a glass of water and drank it halfway when her brother walked through the sliding door. Just by the look on his face and at the way his eyebrows furrowed, she knew what he was thinking. For a boy deemed so unpredictable, Luc was like an open book to her.

It didn't make it any simpler to handle him at times.

"You could have gotten him, you know?" he told her.

She avoided his stare. "No. I swear I tried, but he's three times my size. I'll try better next time."

"Lauren," he leaned against the counter at her side. "You have to go through with this. One day you will need to fight for yourself and I can't have a doubt in my mind that you might lose." His eyes darkened, and the girl felt something in her turn mopey and sad, like dark clouds looming in the sky. "I can't lose you, too."

It's been four years since their parents were killed and Lauren didn't think the torture of their absence will ever leave her and her brother. It was easier to manage the loss in the last years, but it had been hell, especially for Luc. It had been harder on him then he let on.

She gazed at her brother and hugged him, wishing she could take his pain but only being able to share it deeply. What happened to their parents should have been enough to motivate Lauren to abide by the rules and do the same as everyone else, but it wasn't. 

She didn't want to fight against the whole world just to live.

It was more than enough for Luc, though. She was one hundred percent certain that if their parents were still alive, he would have been less strict.

"You won't lose me," she assured, every word weighing heavy with meaning but more for herself. "I promise."

The one thing stronger than her disgust for violence was the fierce need to protect her brother and the rest of her family.

Luc squeezed back and let her go, his eyes shining bright. "I don't want anyone else to end up like our parents. This is why I need you to fight back even if it's just practice. Besides, it doesn't count here, you're not actually hurting anyone and we can heal if it happens."

Well, if he put it that way... It did appease her to know that no harm would come out of these practices and in the worst case, no permanent scathing. Even if she could heal someone, the idea still made her teeth grit together, but she had to be reasonable now. 

"Okay, I'll try harder." She didn't want him to worry and realized she could put more effort into this. It didn't meant she agreed with violence outside of practice, but her twin had a point. "I'll... I'll get myself together."

"Then I guess it's time for round two?"