Part 7

2012

Jungkook: The respect

I finally stood in front of a large glass door with orange handles, waiting as my mom was parking our family car somewhere behind me.

It's beautiful, I thought.

I was happy that after two long years it still seemed unbelievably beautiful to me.

When my mother joined me by the entrance, I pushed open the doors and walked into my future.

At the moment my future looked like clean tiles and old brown sofas.

»Honey, are you sure?« my mother asked me for the nth time today.

I just nodded.

I didn't want to tell her (again) why this is my choice.

It just felt right and when something felt right to Jeon Jungkook, he had to do it.

My mother knew that too.

She was just in denial.

She forced me to stop walking and swung me around so she could cup my cheeks.

»Look, Kookie, I just want to make sure you're completely positive about this. There are a lot of other companies that want you. Besides, you don't have to just jump into this, we can wait. You are so young an –«

»Mom,« I stopped her with a frown.

Then I smiled reassuringly: »I want this. Now stop whining so we can be there sooner.«

She narrowed her eyes in a silent threat.

»Stop disrespecting me or I'm going to tell your father.«

I rolled my eyes and clenched my chest with an arm that wasn't preoccupied with suitcases: »Oh, no! Not the dad!«

She just smacked the back of my head.

We both knew dad wouldn't do anything about it. He was completely whipped for me, just like mom.

I was one spoiled happy child and I knew it.

I had great parents that supported me, an older brother that drove me places and bought me whatever I wanted and people actually liked me. After I performed for some small company (and got rejected), countless offers started coming. I was known as a 'talented good looking full of energy man' and if I tried I could do or become anything. That fueled me every day.

As my mom would say when she was trying to be cool: I was high on dreams, man.

Sorry, that was lame.

We finally stopped at another glass doors, in the room behind them I could see 6 boys trying their best to catch up with their dance instructor and at the same time look like they're not dying.

I instantly felt an excited bubble in my chest.

My mom gasped: »Oh gosh, they look so much older than you. What if they start bullying you? Let's go, we can still tur-«

»Mom,« I hissed, now even more irritated.

Her face softened in defeat.

»Fine. But don't come home crying to me when it's not like you wanted it to be. I won't comfort you,« she said with a sigh.

»Of course not. But the doors will be unlocked and the cookies baked, right?«

She ruffled my hair as an answer because she wasn't ready to admit that I wasn't wrong once again.