27: Blood Is Thicker

Anika woke that morning quickly, remembering that they were going to be moving into their house today. Being able to build a new life, if she was stuck here forever, which she had learned to accept, she wanted to do it on her own terms.

Max and Blake helped move boxes, while Jace packed the last boxes. Blake was dragged along, his neck red from the many tugs, she felt bad for him, but knew it wasn't her place to say anything. She had made cookies for everyone. "Can I have one?" Blake asked, looking towards Max, fear in his eyes. Max only nodded. "Thank you." Blake said as he was handed the cookie. His left hand shaking slightly as Max checked his right hand.

"How is his hand?" Jace asked.

"Fine, I only smashed it slightly." Blake tried not to say anything. His hand still hurt after the rough Max had treated him. "I am sure it will heal soon enough." Blake only nodded, as he watched Nina and Lia come over to them, Nina sat beside Blake.

"Cookie?" Anika asked offering the plate to Nina. Nina looked to Max, he nodded allowing it. They ate slowly, hoping they wouldn't get taken from where Anika was. They trusted her, knowing she wasn't fully a part of this family. Nina and Anika spoke privately while Lia and Jace were working on something, and she told her how she was still getting used to living in the family. Nina told Blake, and now they trusted her more then anyone else.

Carter walked over to Anika as she held the twins, he reached for the plate of cookies sitting on the small table on the porch. "Cookie?" Anika asked cocking her head at the young child.

"Yes." He replied. "Mo..momma. yes" He said as he reached for the cookie. She smirked and handed it to him. Jace sat beside the child as he ate, teetering. His legs growing stronger. The twins slept soundly in her arms. Nina watched the children, wondering how anyone could feel okay with raising their children in a place like this.

"Nina, Blake." Max said looking to them both taking both their leashes in his hand. "Ready?"

"Fo..for?" Nina asked shaking, Lia watched knowing what he meant.

"We need to get you two ready for tonights festivities." Max responded with a smile. Nina went to ask another question when she remembered she couldn't. It was against the rules, Anika had it better Jace was kind. "Come on. Lia come on we have to get them ready."

"Coming, thanks for the cookies." Lia said with kissing Anika on the cheek and following her twin. Anika smiled, she knew what they meant, there were a few things happening that night. That night was going to be wonderful, for all of them.

"Jace, when is it happening?" She asked following behind him as he carried Carter into the house. She smiled as they put the kids down to take a nap.

"Nine darling." He said kissing her cheek. "Now lets go check out the house!" He said with a grin pulling her around. "How about our bed first." He carried her towards the bed, placing her down and pinning her against the bed. "Ready love?"

"Of course Jace." She said with a grin. "I love you." He smiled, she was finally loving him the way he was hopeful for. She had given up hope for life outside, and he was loving it.

Later that night the entire family came to the center of the village, three bath tubs filled with blood sat on the left of the fire. The family was all circled around the campfire, ready and waiting for Max, Blake, Lia, and Nina as well as for the festivities for the night. The men that had attempted to take Anika were tied to the well that was very close to the fire. They were crying, and bruised and beaten, Jace had spent the last few days slowly torturing them.

"Jace darling," Anika began, "can we start yet?"

"Wait for Max and the others love." He said with a smile as he began to walk towards the three men, they began to thrash, fear was the least of their worries. It was panic and the chance they would die right at that second. He laughed, it was animal like, he wasn't kind to them. He was far from it.