08 | red and redder

Red lips stretched into a smile when Callista reached the registration table

Red lips stretched into a smile when Callista reached the registration table. The crimson Valentino evening dress she wore caught the two girls' attention, their eyes raking her elegant form. Callista was aware of how virtuous she looked on red. The color of fire and blood. It signified danger, strength, power, as well as passion, desire, and love. No wonder it was her favorite color.

The two girls welcomed the heiress with bright faces as she handed them her invitation. Their heart-shaped patterned shirt and heart-shaped lipstick made Caly smile. It was amusing. "Welcome, Miss Genovese."

"Here," Caly offered an envelope where she had put a hundred thousand dollars check. As one of the girls received it, another hand jutted to give their invitation.

"Good evening, Mr. Castellano."

Callista clenched her jaw. Fire rose on her heart and anger buzzed on her ears. Franco Castellano challenged every vein in her body. If it wasn't for her plan, she'd have lashed out and proved to all onlookers why red suited her.

"Oh, my donation, right?" Franco mumbled while his other hand searched through his suit's inside pocket. Instead of an envelope, he brought out a checkbook.

It flared up Callista's wrath. The incredulity she felt was mirrored on the two girls' flabbergasted faces. They watched as Franco bend down and wrote on the check. The scribbled amount of five hundred thousand dollars was dark and thick showing no hesitancy from the man.

One of the girls gaped openly. Her hand shook as she accepted the check.

Franco straightened his red jacket as he swirled his head to her. She noticed his smirk more than the wine red three-piece suit that hugged his form. To Callista's horror, he leaned in close enough to whisper. "A hundred thousand? Pathetic."

God, she wanted to slap him.

Callista planned on going home after giving her donation but Franco's presence changed her mind. She couldn't leave without a reprisal. It was not her style.

People were beginning to pour in when Callista and Franco walked in. They breathe in the scent of roses and the huge red balloons that festooned the small stage. Caly smirked as she was maneuvered to the same table as Franco. Words of sarcasm and wit settled on her tongue, ready to strike when the mayor sat beside her.

She cleared her throat, smiling at the politician instead.

"Miss Genovese, I expected to see your father," he greeted. "Though your company is a welcome one too."

The mayor was a statesman through and through. Caly was aware of his dislike for the mafia and her father but he couldn't do anything. The Congress had passed a law for the governor to do as he pleased with the city's gangs. It trumped the mayor's power and if Callista was in his position, she'd be pissed too.

"Good evening, Mayor Johnson," she smiled. They talked through the first part of dinner and Callista began to regret coming to the charity event. The number of calculated accolades and fake smiling she had to endure was getting on her nerves.