37 | fire and fiery

At the corner of her eye, Callista watched as Castor dozed off on the couch

At the corner of her eye, Callista watched as Castor dozed off on the couch. He had asked to watch a movie as they drank the rest of the whiskey. The movie continued playing in a low volume before Caly decided to shut the television off. She grabbed her phone and listened to her unfinished podcast while sipping her alcohol.

She leaned against the arm of the leather couch. Her eyes settled on her best friend. Castor supported his head with his right arm. His eyes were closed and his breathing was shallow. His sleeping face was so serene that she decided not to disturb him even as the clock struck twelve.

The speaker's voice filled the massive house as Callista stretched her toes. Minutes ticked by before she let out a yawn. She sat up straight when Castor spoke in a coarse voice. "Please tell me someone is not talking about cannibals and I'm only hearing things?"

The speaker resumed his explanation of the kuru disease and human brain consumption.

"Caly, shit. I thought you stopped this hobby." Castor rubbed a hand over his face, leaning forward on his elbows.

She chuckled and pressed the pause button. "It's knowledge. Besides, don't you wanna know how humans have this compulsion to—"

"Okay! That's enough." Castor shot her a glare that made her smirk. He rolled his eyes, fingers combing through his messy hair. Caly trailed her eyes at the sexy lines on his forearm. He turned to her. "Can I sleep here?"

Callista blinked, chasing away the daze she was in. "Uhm...what?

"Can I sleep here?"

"What? Why?" she exclaimed that even Castor flinched at her piercing voice. Caly cleared her throat. "I mean that—you're busy and—"

"If I go home then I have to explain the... situation." A tortured expression crossed his face. "I can't do it. Not yet."

Callista tugged at her sweater, biting her lip in contemplation. Her feelings for Castor had always been there but she had forced it down for years. Feelings would only lead to getting hurt and consequently, destroy their friendship.

Not to mention, all the lies she had weaved.

But after that kidnapping fiasco and the thought that he would hate her forever, she couldn't deny it any longer. Castor Luciano was the most important person in her life. He was her rock, her constant, her north star.

No matter what happened, she would go back to him. Without fail.

But Caly knew it wasn't the time for this. He hadn't even forgiven her. Love and relationship wasn't her priority right now.

"Alright. You know where the guest rooms are." She stood up, grabbing her phone. "Feel free to choose."

Callista headed to her bathroom, stripping her sweater and shorts. She took a cold shower that flushed her unnecessary thoughts away. What Castor needed was a friend. That's what she's going to be.