31 | lone and lonely

Callista woke up with her nostrils burning

Callista woke up with her nostrils burning. She first noticed the handcuffs on her hands. One pair was on her wrists. The other one was attached to her left wrist and a metal pole.

She stood, bringing her hands up and ignoring her aching knees. She perused her surroundings and saw an empty bar. The place was bare except for the counter and two wooden stalls. The windows were shut tight with slabs of plywood and the door in front of her was the only escape route.

Fuck. Did Dos do this?

Caly backtracked her memories for a minute. Vince's investigation had been about the traitor that Francisco Castellano hired. But how could it be that kid? He was the son of the previous capo of the family.

Callista scoffed at her own thought. Even blood relatives could betray you.

She focused her mind on her escape. She didn't need a savior. In fact, she didn't anyone. Not even Castor.

Callista tugged at her restraints. It was loose on her wrists though it bumped on her thumb. She could do it. She yanked her hand. Hard. Caly gritted her teeth as crushing pain lanced through her fingers, her bones aching in protest.

She screamed as she pulled her hand free. "Shit!"

Her fingers trembled, blood rushing to the area where her bones had been pressed tight. Caly looked at her other hand which was attached to the pole. She bit her lip, imagining the inevitable agony she would feel.

Before she could do it, the door burst open and Castor's shadowy figure entered the bar.

"Stay right there!" she yelled and pulled at her left hand.

"What? Are you stupid? Let me help you!"

Castor stomped inside that she whirled to him, eyes flashing in anger. "I can help myself!"

She continued yanking her hand as her eyes burned. Her heart pumped at a rapid pace.

"Callista? What's wrong with you?" Castor's confused voice filled the tiny room.

"Nothing!" she huffed in annoyance as her tears started to pour. Caly tugged at the metal restraints repeatedly, slapping her free hand against the wall. She hit the wall over and over again until her palms splintered. "Fuck! Why can't I get this off?"

She hung her head in defeat. Her dark hair curtained over her face hiding the globs of liquid that fell from her eyes.

"Caly, tell me what's wrong, please..." She heard him say that brought another wave of tears to her face.

Damn. She was so pathetic.

✘✘

The smell of chrysanthemums and burning candles filled the six-year old's nostrils. Her small fingers clutched her daddy's hand tighter as the casket was lowered to the ground.