IX

NINE
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

He drove them to the mall in a truck that he'd managed to hot wire, which Meredith didn't realize that's what the war taught it's soldiers. On the way there, he filled her in on some things.

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star. They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago." Rumlow explained to Steve, Natasha, and the rest of the S.T.R.I.K.E. crew on the mission as they were aboard a Quinjet, flying above the Indian Ocean.

"Any demands?" Steve asked.

"Billion and a half." He replied.

"Why so steep?"

"Because it's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s."

"So, it's not off-course. It's trespassing." He looked over at Natasha, who continued to stare at the info on the screen.

"I'm sure they have a good reason." She replied before looking back at him.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor." He muttered to her.

"Relax." She advised. "It's not that complicated."

"How many pirates?" He directed his attention back to Rumlow. He was finally back in the swing of things, and already, he was reminded by his trust towards Fury was wavering.

He pulled the information up onto the screen as he spoke. "25. Top mercs led by this guy. Georges Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of the Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had 35 kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"Hostages?"

"Oh, mostly techs. One officer, Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" Steve paused. "Alright, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get them out. Let's move."

"S.T.R.I.K.E., you heard the Cap. Gear up." Rumlow demanded. They all went their separate ways to prepare as the pilot of the jet got them in location.

"Secure channel seven." He said into his communicator.

"Seven secure." Natasha replied. "Did you do anything fun Saturday night?"

"Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so, no, not really." He replied as they stood there, adjusting their gear and making sure they were ready for their mission as they were almost there. Natasha gave him an amused grin.

"Coming up on the drop zone, Cap." The pilot informed him. He hit the button to open up the back of the jet.

"You know, if you ask Kristen out from Statistics, she'd probably say yes." She told him.

"That's why I don't ask." He told her loudly over the sound of the air as he put his mask on.

"Why, because you've got someone else on your mind?!" She yelled at him. He was silent. "Too shy or too scared?"

"Too busy!" He replied as he jumped out of the back. That was an excuse. He knew why he didn't make an effort to speak to Meredith since New York. He liked her, he really did, but there were things preventing him from giving her what she deserved.

"Was he wearing a parachute?" One of the men asked Rumlow. He let out a chuckle as he replied.

"No. No, he wasn't."