XV

FIFTEEN
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

"Sounds like a hell of a fight, sorry I missed it." Sam told Steve after they'd done some catching up.

"If I had known it was gonna be a firefight, I absolutely would have called." Steve grinned at him, knowing his friend was teasing him.

"No, no. I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world." He paused. "Your world is crazy, but it's got its upsides."

They'd stepped away from the party and overlooked it from an upper walkway. Sam would've never saw himself in Avengers Tower, but then again, he never would've saw himself helping Captain America or putting on the Falcon gear again in the first place. He was happy this was the way it turned out, though. "Be it ever so humble."

Sam glanced over to see him staring at Meredith, of course. She was having a laughing fit, presumably at something Thor had said. A smile crept onto his face. Sam could easily recognize that his friend was in love. "You find a place in Brooklyn yet?"

"I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn." Steve joked, but that wasn't what was preventing him.

"Well, home is home, you know?" He told him. Steve let out a small sigh. "It's her, isn't it?"

"I mean, look at this place, Sam. Who would leave it for some little apartment in Brooklyn?" Steve didn't take his eyes off her.

"Someone who's in love with the Brooklyn boy, that's who. She loves you, too, Steve. It's obvious." Sam assured him.

"I don't think she wants to leave this, Sam. She's not ready to leave Tony." He ran his hand through his hair.

"Have you at least talked to her about it?" He asked.

"Well, no..."

"Then you don't know." He said simply, and Steve nodded. Sam was a much more blunt person compared to him. Steve wasn't exactly sure he was ready to give up the whole superhero mantle. He wasn't ready to settle yet. The world wasn't at a place where he felt like he could. He wasn't sure if it was an option for him, he was just going with the flow. All he knew was that he loved Meredith and he wanted to be with her for as long as he could.

"Hey, there you are. I saw you looking at me, I've been looking for you." Meredith came up behind him.

Hey, guilty as charged." He smiled down at her, slipping his arm around her waist. Sam mouthed to him to talk to her, but Steve shook his head. He kept going on, to the point where Steve began mouthing back. Meredith's eyebrows knitted together.

"Am I interrupting something?" She asked.

"No, no. We were just heading down." He told her

"Good." She nodded. They all filed back down the staircase, and Steve remained with his arm around her. It was weird reminding himself that he could finally be open with her. He felt great knowing that every guy here knew that Meredith Stark was his. He didn't realize he could be that guy, but he was proud of her. He loved her and wanted the world to know it. He was glad he finally got to show it.