X

TEN
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk." She told him as they walked with a fast pace through the mall. There was people everywhere, and it was surprisingly busy for this time of night. That was perfect considering what they were about to do.

"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off." He replied as they continued. Meredith spotted the Apple store right around the corner and made her way inside with him behind her.

"Looks like the drive has a level six homing program, so like I suspected, S.H.I.E.L.D. will know exactly where we are as soon as I plug it in." She began setting the computer up.

"How much time do you think we'll have?" He asked.

"I'd say about nine minutes from..." She plugged it into the USB port. "Now."

In an instant, S.H.I.E.L.D. sent out their agents as soon as they got a ping on the USB.

"From what you told me, it seems Fury was right about the ship. They're definitely hiding something. This drive is on extreme lock down, protected by some sort of AI. Every time I put in a command, it keeps rewriting itself to counter them." She said, and he watched as her fingers danced along the keyboard swiftly.

"Can you override it?" He put his hand on the table next to her and leaned down to see it so that his face was next to her. When she paused to give him a look, she realized how close their faces were. Her gaze glanced from his lips to his eyes once.

"Of course I can. Do you realize who you're talking to?" She scoffed.

He gave her a grin. "Right, sorry. I didn't mean to insult the great Meredith Stark."

"I'm just not sure if this internet speed will allow me to, considering the time we have." She continued typing once more, attempting to do her best to get some type of information they could use to further their investigation. "I'm gonna try running a tracer. It's a program I developed for S.H.I.E.L.D. to track hostile malware. So, if I can't get the drive cracked in time, we can find out where the file came from and go from there."

"Can I help you guys with anything?" A worker approached them and Meredith gave Steve a nervous look. He remembered what she said about keeping all distractions away.

"Uh, no." He said, then wrapped his arm around Meredith's shoulder. She quickly looked at him, but realized what he was playing at. "My fiancé and I are just looking at some... honeymoon destinations."

"Right." She nodded, giving him a loving gaze that he almost thought was real. "We're getting married."

"Congratulations. Where are you thinking about going?" The employee asked. Meredith continued to type away on the computer, doing anything she thought of to speed up the process. She knew they were beginning to run out of time. Steve glanced over at the screen as the location popped up.