Chapter Ten.

The following morning Steve dropped Rosie off at school and then went to work so that Charlotte could get her car. Waving goodbye to him as he drove away, she walked to her car.

"Right. First things first. Caffeine!" She said to herself as she opened the door and climbed in.

She parked the car and walked to her favourite little coffee shop. Ordered her caramel latte and muffin and went to find a seat. Finding one by the window of the little shop she got her note pad and pen out of her bag. Just then a barista placed her drink and food in front of her with a smile.

"Cupcakes, ordered. Just need to pick them up in the morning. Actual birthday cake is being delivered tonight. The buffet food is..."

"They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness!" Charlottes head shot up to see Ben looking down at her.

"Hey." She said with a small smile.

"This seat taken?" He pointed to the empty chair opposite her.

"No. Please..." she said signalling for him to join her. "Ben, your face." She said feeling guilty for his now slightly black eye, cut above his eyebrow and on his top lip.

"Meh! Its not as bad as it looks. Had worse." He lets out a short laugh trying to lighten the situation and make her feel less guilty. All he got was a raised eyebrow. "Ok, it hurts a little, more when I smile. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat!" He shrugged and she looked away from him. "Hey! I know that look! This," he said pointing to his face, "is not your fault! None of it is!" He tried to reassure her.

"But..." She sighed when he scowled at her. "Ok." She muttered to herself. Looking back up at him she went to ask him what his plans were when a voice came from beside them.

"Here's your coffee sir." Smiled a young blonde barista as she fluttered her eyelashes and bent slightly to flash her cleavage. Rolling her eyes at her flirting, Charlotte took a drink of her coffee before putting it back down.

"Thanks." He smiled back before turning his attention back to Charlotte.

"A take out?" She asked, her shoulders dropping slightly. She was feeling somewhat awkward after what happened the previous night, not at all like she usually felt when around him. She really hoped the events of happened hadn't left a negative impact on their friendship.

"I was only grabbing one before I went home. Then I saw you sat over here on your lonesome, so thought I'd check you were doing ok, all things considering." He took a drink from his cup.

"Fair enough. I won't keep you. Got a lot to do myself, so I should probably get going anyway."

"You've hardly touched your coffee and not had even a bite of your muffin." He looked confused.

"Dont really fancy it now." She said as she stood up to leave.

"Sit down Lottie! What are you working on? Rosies party?" He asked causing her to sigh deeply and nod. "Let me see the list, Ive got no plans for the rest of the day. I dont mind helping." Not wanting her to leave because he didnt like the idea of her walking around town on her own just in case Jack was still around.

Reaching forward he stole a piece of muffin, laughing and her scowling. "You're too cute!"

"Keep stealing my food and I will be far from cute!" She pouted as she pulled it further out of his reach.

********

After they finished their drinks, they headed off down the high street. They come to a stop outside of the first party supply store.