Chapter 13

The days had passed by more slowly each day I had to live at my father’s mansion. We were allowed to go outside but only as long as I had multiple body guards including Derek. The furthest I was allowed to go was a small shopping center on the outskirts of town so that I would not get recognized. 

At this moment, I was sat in the back of a four door sedan that had the windows tinted almost to black, with Derek beside me holding my hand. On the other side of me was my closest bodyguard, Marcus. 

We pulled up to the shopping center and the car came to a slow stop. Marcus got out first and when it was clear he waved us out. We walked throughout the center for about an hour before I saw the store that I wanted to go in. Victoria’s Secret. 

As a surprise for Derek, I wanted to get something just for him. Unfortunately, he was with me so I’d have to be super secretive. 

“Can we go in there?” I pointed towards the store and looked at Derek with a pleading look. “Please?” 

He glanced at the store and a big goofy smile appeared on his face. His arm was wrapped around my waist, making sure to keep me close. He leaned down and whispered softly in my ear, “Getting a little something?” 

I chuckled and pulled him towards the store without saying anything. 

Marcus followed behind us but kept some distance. The red that appeared on his cheeks made me laugh. 

“Do you have a girlfriend, Marcus?” I asked him as I browsed through the clothing. 

“Yes, ma’am.” He stood behind me in the corner of the store, keeping watch. 

“Why don’t you buy her something then? And please don’t call me ma’am, it makes me feel old. Just April works.” I gave him a smile. 

“I’m not sure what she would like.” 

“What’s her favorite color?” I stopped browsing and turned to face him. 

“Purple.” He smiled softly as if he was remembering a memory of her. 

I turned back around and picked up a purple piece of lingerie. It was mostly lace but had normal purple fabric covering the most intimate parts. The top and bottom connected by a thin piece of lace that could easily be ripped. 

“Perfect.” I handed it to him and pushed him towards the register. “Go buy it for her.” Derek walked up and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind me. “Did you just flirt with him?” 

I scoffed, offended he even thought that. “No, I was helping him buy a present for his girlfriend.”

“Oh. Good.” He laid a kiss on my neck and let me go. “Now where’s my present?” He chuckled softly. 

I rolled my eyes and continued to search. After 15 minutes of endless searching, I found a perfect one. It was a red suit, that had lace on the sides, a piece of red silk in the middle and on the breast area and a small patch of fabric on the bikini area. The back was like a thong with a thin string piece on my ass and on open back. 

I folded it up and placed it in the cups of a black bra I was getting, trying to hide it from Derek. 

I went to the register and paid for my things. “Can you out the red one in a secretive bag? I came here with my boyfriend and I’m trying to surprise him.” The lady nodded and placed it in a small bag which she then placed in the bigger bag. 

“Thank you.” I grabbed my bag and change and walked out of the store where Derek was waiting with Marcus. 

I walked towards him with a big grin on my face, which quickly dropped when I saw what was behind him. A man with a big gun was running up behind him. Everything happened in slow motion. Derek’s face had a big smile across it.

Then there was a loud bang. Derek’s smile dropped and blood splattered on me. I could feel a pain in my upper stomach but all I cared about was Derek. Screaming in pain and horror, I dropped to the ground. Tears falling down my face, faster than they ever did, I saw Marcus fall to the ground, blood seeping out of his mouth. I turned to Derek who was on the floor with a big pool of blood pooling around him. His face was quickly losing color. 

I pulled myself over to him as fast as I could manage. In a pool of our blood I grabbed his almost lifeless face. “Derek, you’re gonna be okay. I promise. Y-you’re gonna be o-okay.” I held his face close to mine, pecking his lips a few times. “Please don’t leave me.” My voice broke and I couldn’t hold back the sobbing that racked through me. 

Gunshots were still going off but I didn’t care about that, all I cared about was Derek. I scrambled for Derek’s phone that was in his pocket. With shaking hands, I called my father. 

“Hello? This is Mat-“

“Matthew it’s me. We’re in the mall and shots are going off, Derek is down, and Marcus is dead.” I cried into the phone. I was trying to keep it together, but I couldn’t. “Please, I don’t want Derek to die.” I sobbed. 

I looked down at Derek, his eyes were open but they were unresponsive. “Derek?” I held the phone between my shoulder and my face and pressed my fingers against his neck. I felt a faint thump thump, but it wasn’t strong at all. 

“His pulse is weak, hurry up!” I yelled into the phone. I didn’t care about what Matthew was saying, all I could hear was the ringing of the gunshots and the feeling of the pain flooding through me, both physical and mental. Not being able to hold up anymore I fell next to Derek and let the darkness spread over me.