Beauty's Beast

Damien

I reached and slid my paws under Belle, lifting her. I carried Belle as her arm dangled to the side. I went upstairs to a bedroom and laid Belle on a bed gently. I stood there as I heard the others entered the room.

"What happened to the girl, Beast?"  The clock asked me.

"The girl passed out from excitement," Candlestick said, smacking clock.

"What was that for, you meanie?"  Clock asked.

"You asked too many questions," Candlestick said.

I looked at the times as they argued.

"The girl is beautiful," Featherduster mentioned.

"Beast, do you think the girl is pretty?"  Teacup asked.

"I think the girl is beautiful," I answered as all of the items smiled. "But she will never like a hideous beast like me," I whispered as I turned and left.

The item's expressions saddened as they watched me leave.

"Poor, Beast," Teacup said, somberly.

"Perhaps we can help," Candlestick suggested.

"If Beast's curse breaks, then we return to human selves. It's worth a try," Teapot agreed.

I came downstairs and went into the library. I found the fairytale books and stared at them. No one will own the collection while I remain a beast.

*******
Belle

I awoke and rubbed my eyes. I heard noises as I sat up. I looked around and found myself in a bedroom. What in the world? 

I got out of bed as items hid. I'm sure I saw moving objects, or I need sleep. I left the bedroom and came downstairs.  I looked around to see the light on in a room. I walked towards it and peeked inside to find a library with someone inside it.

"Hello?"  I asked as the person stiffened. I entered the library and looked around at it. Whoa, that's a lot of books. I looked at the person and started walking towards the person. "Are you the owner?" 

The person said nothing. I walked towards the person, and as I went to look at them, they turned their back to me.

"Excuse me?"  I asked, attempting to get the person's attention, but they kept turning their back to me. That frustrated me as I tricked the person and came face-to-face with a beast. I stood there, shocked.

Then I watched as the beast looking person stumbled, knocking into things and falling over. Then books fell out of the bookcase and fell on top of the beast-looking person. I stood there, confused.

I watched as it rubbed its head as they realized I was standing in the room with them. The beast stood up and walked towards me as I backed up until my back hit a wall. I looked up as the beast leaned down until our faces were mere inches from each other.

"Why are you here?" The beast growled at me.

I reached and poked the beast's nose with my fingertip.

"That's not polite to growl at someone," I informed the beast, who looked at me strangely.

The beast leaned back. "You're not afraid of me," the beast said.

"Should I be?" I asked, looking at the beast.

"I frighten people," the beast said.

I looked curiously at the beast, noticing the horns along with the protruding jawline and teeth. I saw his claws and hooves for feet, then looked at him.

"Do you frighten people because of the way you look or because you feel they're frightened of you?" I asked.

"Because people saw me and screamed. You screamed," the beast said.

"Because you startled me," I answered with a look. I maneuvered around the beast and walked over to the books.

"Why did you come here?" The beast questioned me as I picked up the books from the floor.

"The librarian sent me to purchase the collection of fairytales you possess," I answered.

"The books are not for sale," the beast said, walking over and taking a book from me, placing it back in its spot.

I looked at the beast. "You're not very nice," I said.

"Excuse me, you came into my home without knowledge," the beast said.

"I knocked and yelled. You hid in the shadows, then startled me," I replied.

"You still entered my home without my approval," the beast said, placing a book back on the shelf.

"I apologize. Next time, I will wait to freeze to death," I retorted as I turned to leave.

"Wait," the beast said as I stopped. I turned to face him. "I don't receive many visitors, and I live alone. It's nice to have someone visit me."

"Now, was that so difficult?" I asked as I walked towards him. I removed my cape and set it over a chair. I walked around the library, looking at the books. "You have a vast collection of books."

"It came with the house. I found reading helps with the loneliness," the beast mentioned.

"I find reading enjoyable," I said, looking at the beast and smiling.

The beast walked towards me as I moved away, and he stopped.

"You enter another world from your own. It's a world of wonderment and amazement. Don't you agree?" I asked.

"Very much so," the beast said. I smiled, then looked at the books. The beast stepped towards me as I stepped away. He stopped. "Well, I must go," I said as I walked over to my cape and picked it up.

"Will you come back?" The beast asked.

"We'll see," I said as I fastened my cap and placed my hood on my head, then left.

********
Damien

I stood there, watching Belle leave. The first human interaction I had since I became a beast ended quickly. I sighed. I missed my brothers and family.

I left the library, turning off the light on my way out. I went upstairs to change, then stood at the window. Loneliness is a funny thing; you take the simple things for granted.

I watched the snowfall on the ground, covering it. It's December, and while people celebrated the holidays with their loved ones, I celebrated alone except for my objects.

"Beast?" I heard someone say.

I turned to see Teacup.

"Why did the girl leave?" Teacup asked me.

"The girl came to purchase books. I refused to sell the books," I answered.

"Will the girl come back?" Teacup asked, hopeful.

"I don't know," I said.

"Oh," Teacup said with sadness.

"We can hope that the girl will return," I said, knowing it will not happen. Teacup smiled.

"We sure can, beast," Teacup said.

"It's time for bed," I announced as I crawled into bed and turned off the light.

"Good night, beast," Teacup said.

"Good night, Teacup," I said as I closed my eyes and fell asleep.