Preparing for Christmas

Damien

I know it disappointed Belle not having a reason for her mom's death, but what we learned next will surprise us both. I went to the shop to pick up music boxes to deliver them and talked to Arthur. I explained about our quest regarding the fairytale books.

What Arthur told me, surprised me.

"Abigail didn't have the books when she died," Arthur said.

"What?" I questioned, feeling confused.

"Yeah, Abigail had the books until Belle arrived, then they disappeared," Arthur answered.

"So, why would people come looking for the books if Abigail didn't have them?" I asked.

"I don't know. I do know that Abigail received the books with a note," Arthur said, walking to a drawer and opening it. He pulled out a paper and handed it to me.

I took the letter and read it.

If you receive these books, please protect them. The books are unique and will guide you toward true love. When you find it, the books will move to the next person.

It's imperative someone protects the books, or it will destroy everything.

I stared at the note.

"When Abigail and I met, we married. We wanted a family, but Abigail had a difficult time producing a child. All my wife wanted was a child, and I was desperate to provide her with one. After the books arrived, Abigail became pregnant with Belle. As a gift, I built the library and conservatory for Abigail. When Abigail had Belle, she fell in love. That's when I noticed the books were missing," Arthur explained.

I thought about it, then realized something important.

"That's it," I said, thinking about the books.

"What is?" Arthur asked, confused.

"The books leave when the person gifted with them finds true love. The books will never stay because they don't intend to remain," I explained as Arthur looked at me with surprise.

"That makes sense," Arthur said.

I nodded as I gathered the finished music boxes, taking them to different shops to sell for Arthur. I worked out a deal with the shops that they would get a percentage while Arthur would receive a higher rate. I didn't need the money. My dad had invested for my brothers and me so that we didn't spend all our money.

After delivering the music boxes, I returned home to the smell of something delicious. I removed my coat and gloves, making my way to the kitchen. I found Belle dancing and singing along to Christmas music.

Belle turned and yelped, becoming startled with my presence. I chuckled.

"You startled me," Belle said, placing her hand on her chest.

I walked over to Belle and placed my hands on her face as I kissed her. I released her and looked at the food; she was making.

"The food smells delicious," I mentioned.

"I figure a nice meal will help with the weather outside," Belle reasoned.

"I can't wait," I replied, smiling.

"Good, because it's ready," Belle said, grinning.

I chuckled and helped her with dinner. We brought our plates to the dining room table and sat down next to each other.

"How did your visit with Dad go today?" Belle asked.

"Good, but I did find out more about the fairytale books," I mentioned as I ate.

Belle looked at me, curiously.

"Your mom received the books before she became pregnant with you. Your dad said that your mom wanted children, but had difficulty. When your mom received the books, she became pregnant, and after you arrived, the books disappeared. I think I understand why?" I explained.

"Why?" Belle asked while eating dinner.

"Because the books grant true love, but it doesn't mean that it means a romantic love every time. True love is the purest love of all, and it's unconditional," I explained.

"That makes sense," Belle agreed. "It also makes sense why the books sent to someone else. If the books have the capability of granting true love, then it makes them powerful."

I looked at Belle as I ate dinner.

"The one thing I learned from reading is that someone will obtain power with any necessary means. Reading provides us with knowledge, and knowledge is power. Plus, I noticed the books had a way of erasing and rewriting the story," Belle told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"When I read Beauty and The Beast, the story completed to a certain part like it was incomplete. I'm guessing it's the same way with the other stories," Belle reasoned.

I nodded. "Well, if the books landed in someone else's path, then that keeps us off the radar. I would rather not deal with an unsavory person while we have a future," I reasoned.

"Yes, I agree," Belle added, smiling.

We finished our dinner, then planned Christmas. Belle wanted to include Hanukkah. I explained to Belle what Hanukkah entailed. From the look on Belle's face, I knew she didn't realize how involved it is.

We sat on the couch as Belle looked confused.

"Well, if Hanukkah involves everything you explained, I can get everything ready," Belle said, standing up. "I'll make a list and plan each day. Oh, we'll need a candle, too."

I listened to Belle ramble as I stood up and placed my hands on her upper arms as she looked at me with concern.

"Belle, it's okay. I quit celebrating holidays when I left home. I know you want to include my traditions, but maybe we should create traditions of our own," I reasoned.

"Are you sure?" Belle asked me.

"I'm positive," I answered.

I knew Belle wanted to include things I did before I met her, but that person is gone, and I refuse to bring him back. That person was selfish, self-centered, and didn't care about anyone. Belle deserves better than that.

I made a few calls to help Belle out and not overwhelm her. Who better than friends? I explained what I needed, and the girls agreed to help Belle.

********
Belle

I made a list of names, food, and entertainment. I figure if I had a file, it would help. While I was busy with the list, Damien snuck off somewhere. I thought he would help me?

I can plan Christmas for family and friends. How hard is it to prepare? The list was excellent, but the food drove me nuts. I didn't know what anyone liked or if they had a food allergy. I sighed.

I will fail with Christmas and ruin it for Damien. All I want is to show Damien a real Christmas. I scribbled and crossed out this when the doorbell rang. I wonder who was that?

I got up and answered the door to find Sherry, Goldie, and another girl standing there. I looked at them with confusion.

"It seems you need help, and the cavalry arrived," Goldie said as they walked into the house.

I closed the door and looked at the girls curiously. What did they have planned?