Chapter 16

Victor had to carry me to his car. It started as leaning on him then it turned into me not being able to move and then he gave up and he tossed me over his shoulder. That's how I exited the premises, with my ass in the air and my head bouncing against Victor's back. It was undignified and not at all how I envisioned it. What was worse was getting me home. I, who had refused to let Victor speak to my mother, had no choice but allow him to bring me home and help me enter my house.

"Ay dios mio!" My mother gasped when Victor knocked on the door with me over his shoulder.

"Buenas," Victor said in Spanish. "She's ok, she sprained her ankle."

My mother was glaring at him as if he had been the one to run me over.

"Mom, I'm fine, show him to my room." My voice was muffled against his shirt.

"You are not fine!" She hissed. "Why is he carrying you?"

"Mom!"

"Ay dios mio!" But she led us up the stairs to where my room was. My face bounced against his hard back each step. Undignified.

"She needs to keep it iced and elevated," Victor said as he placed me on my bed, he was a little out of breath which I didn't blame him as I was not a lithe 110 lbs. My little brother had popped his head in, his eyes wide as he stared up at Victor.

"You, stay here!" Mom shoved my brother in my room (a place where he was normally not allowed into). "I'm getting ice."

I stared up at Victor as he curiously took in my room. He looked out of place, he was too big for it, and I wondered if he could touch the ceiling.

"Hi, what's your name?" Victor asked my little brother. He'd just turned 11 but he was short even for his age.

"Tony," my brother said.

"I'm Victor, nice to meet you." Victor extended his hand.

"You're very tall." Tony shook his hand.

"Tony," I said. "Out."

"Mom wants me to stay here so you two don't have sex." Tony looked at me.

I groaned and laid back on my bed. "What a mess this day has been!"

Victor moved around the room and took in my bookshelf. "How many books do you have?"

"A million," Tony said. "She loves to read romance books, the more kissing the better."

"Tony!"

Victor smiled and peered into my shelf, scanning it up and down and pulling out a volume. It had a pirate undressing a wanton maid. His face was lit with mirth.

"The Pirate's Wench?"

"That's old..."

Victor hummed and put it back then he scanned my nightstand and quickly picked up the volume I had been reading last night. "Kiss of the Scoundrel?"

"Kissing," Tony nodded.

Victor laughed and handed it back to me as he saw I was hobbling to get up and snatch it back. "This explains a lot about you."

"Like what?" I smoothed the Kiss of the Scoundrel, making sure the page I had marked was still there.

"Overactive imagination, dramatics, chasing unavailable guys –"

"For your information, romantic heroes chase the heroine. Lord Hoyt chases Julia across the Scottish Highlands." I brandished the Kiss of the Scoundrel at his face.