Chapter 25

We didn't speak as he drove to the hospital but whenever I felt that he was on the edge of anxiety, I squeezed his hand.

We burst into the emergency room doors and I could scarcely keep up with Victor's long strides, but he reached out and grabbed my hand pulling me with him. He quickly asked the station nurse about his father and she said that he was with the doctor right now along with his Mom. Give them ten minutes, she said.

I watched as Victor paced in front of the vending machine and I sat quietly watching him, my arms in goosebumps and I cursed myself for wearing such a stupid dress. At one point he noticed I was shivering, and he shrugged out of his jacket and handed it to me. Slowly I took it and slipped it on myself, it swallowed me whole and covered me with his scent. I held it close around me as he continued pacing. The ten minutes ticked by like the last bit of honey of a bottle.

Finally, a lady with olive skin and very black hair came out of the doors. I dimly recognized her as his Mom, I had seen her at graduation from far away but had not thought much about her. Now it seemed I should have paid attention to her, to her short, stocky frame. I also noticed she had green eyes that stood out stark against the dark of her hair.

Victor instantly went to her, placing his arms around her shoulders, he was easily a head taller than she was. She was shaken but there was an aura of strength emanating from her. She brightened when she saw Victor, relief visible in her frame. I heard her explain quickly to him in Spanish that she had been helping his dad out of the shower chair like she always did, and he slipped, landing on his hip. It wasn't broken, but it was badly bruised, and he was in pain. They were going to keep him overnight for observation.

I almost saw Victor's thought process. He should've been there. He should've been helping him bathe. It was too much for his Mom. The responsibility of the whole thing landed on his shoulders and I saw him shrink underneath it. I wanted to say something, do something, but I realized how out of my depth I was. My problems were so trifling compared to his, my life so calm and orderly, and my responsibilities selfish and parochial. I watched as Victor hugged his Mom and she clutched him back. I looked away, I felt I was intruding. After a while, I felt him have her sit down and they were both looking at me.

"Mami, esta es Becka," he said. The woman looked at me and nodded.

"Thank your Mami for the sofrito," she said and I flushed. I should have been the one to offer it, not my Mom. I had offered her nothing. I had done nothing.

"Claro," I smiled a little. "Have you eaten? I could get you food."

Victor's mom looked at him, a bit lost. "Ay, no, I haven't eaten. That would be very kind of you."

Victor instantly dug into his pocket and handed me his keys which I took almost not believing it. He never let anyone drive his car.

"I pulled you both from your party." She looked at my dress under his jacket.

"Mami, eso no importa," Victor assured her. "It was a stupid party."

"It was," I said and Victor looked at me. "I'll be right back, let me get you both something to eat."

I quickly walked out feeling a sudden purpose in my stride. When I slid into the leather of the BMW I felt Victor's chair mold around me, his warmth still dancing in the chair. As if he were hugging me as if I was on top of me and I felt a fluttering pleasure between my legs which I decided to ignore. It was not the right time.