Chapter 1

***I made this when I was in late elementary to early middle school... I am probably going to go back an edit it soon so you guys can enjoy the story better as I think I had some good ideas, but I wanted those who don't think they are 'as good of writers as I am' to see where I started. You have to start somewhere so go for it! :) I will post chapters as I paragraph them a little more correctly and as I get to editing the previous chapter so if you get a notification for each chapter twice and want to read the revised version...Wait for the second alert! Thanks so much for taking a look and enjoy! PS: Names of characters may be changed for some of them for the revised version only.***

"Come on Tom!" shouted a man named Marve who lived on a street called New Town Street. It was 12:00 at night. Tom was a groom to a mare named Dutches. Tom hurried along side Marve as they sprinted into a very damp and quite cramped barn.

"She's going to have it any minute now! Hold the light near her rear so I can her get it out!" Said Marve quietly and anxiously.

Both of them knew not to act loud or nervous around Dutches because it could make Dutches nervous as well.

Tom moved the lamp he was holding near Dutches's bottom and Marve quietly whispered to Dutches, “Come on now, Push, Push" The black horse broke out in a steaming sweat at the hard work of the foal not seeming to try to come out. Marve said,

"Tom, hand me that wet rag."

Tom handed it to Marve without a word.

Marve carefully rubbed it on the horse's sweaty face. Dutches snorted in the effort of the foal.” Come on," Marve whispered again. Dutches snorted again.

Marve noticed two small black hooves come out. He knew Dashes would need some help. Marve quickly grabbed the foal's legs before Dutches could give up and whispered once more," push Dutches.

You’re almost done so push. Harder." Marve pulled half of the foal's body out. From inside Dutches's body I thought no! It's too cold out there! I want to stay in the warm! I struggled, but the gentle hands overcame me and I was pulled out.

I gave a weak whinny. It was too bright. I was cold and slightly wet.

Marve smiled and Tom grinned. Marve said, "Dutches, you got yourself a foal!”

Dutches looked at me. I was black with a white star on my forehead. I was wet and very cold.

I felt my mother lick me. I wanted to be nearer to her so I could get warmer. I put two hooves in front of me and tried pushing with my back legs.

I clasped and thought, this is harder then I thought. Again, I tried and fell once more.

Marve grinned and said," you can do it little fellow" But he didn't help me with my struggle.

Again I tried standing. My skinny legs shook uncontrollably. I whinnied again and one step at a time I made my way to Dutches. I rubbed my nose around her. I felt very hungry all of a sudden.

Marve said,” Here little fellow." and he guided my nose under Dutches's rump and I started nursing. It tasted so good! It tasted something like a warm milky liquid. The warm liquid ran through my throat giving warmth to my whole body.

Turning her head Dutches started licking me dry once more.

Marve smiled up at Tom and said what do you suppose we should name him?"

"I don't know" muttered Tom looking at me admirely. "He is a Pretty black fellow. He’s a colt right?"

Marve wasn't listening but instead deep in thought. I heard Marve muttering names under his breath. Finally Marve spoke out. “How about Blacky?"