Chapter Six- A Note

I get in the car and speed off. I can see that Serena was in a hurry and needed to go to the pharmacy quickly. I just did not know for what.

I glance to her and she starts to speak. "You're probably wondering why I'm such a mess"

"Well, I mean. I don't think you look like a mess. Maybe a little unhappy... What's wrong?" I ask her.

"I haven't told you this cause every time I tell people they look at me completely differently."

"No it's fine. Whatever it is, you can tell me"

She takes a deep breath in. "Okay. My parents died 3 years ago, so my siblings and I have been staying with foster parents."

My heart breaks for her. All this time while I complained about my "broken family", and here was Serena who's family was actually broken. "Oh god, I'm so sorry."

She sniffles. "Yeah and it's obvious she's only in it for my money, and my older brother was 18 when they died, so he didn't have to go through the system. So I got a text from my foster mom telling me that my sister has a fever and that we need medicine." She wipes a tear from her eye and continues. "And it just sucks. I make their meals, I care for them, I do everything, and all my foster mom does is complain. Yeah, it just sucks." As she ends, I pull up to the pharmacy.

"Don't worry. We'll get your sister the medicine, and I'm sure she'll be better." I reply, trying to reassure her.

She gets out of the car and as I step out she says, "No need. I'll be quick."

A few minutes pass and Serena stays true to her word, she was back. She drops a plastic bag onto the car floor as she sits down and starts to tell me the directions to her house. After around ten minutes of slightly uncomfortable silence, I reach a small house with a badly kept lawn.

"I'm coming in with you" I declare quickly before she leaves me again like last time.

She takes a deep breath in, as if she needed to prepare. "Okay" she replies.

When we enter the house, the loud sound of the TV pierces through our ears. It was likely a reality TV show. A badly kept woman shouts from the couch, "HEY. SERENA IS THAT YOU?"

"Yes" she replies. "I'm just here to give Sarah her medicine."

"WHO'S THAT THERE?" the lady asks another question.

As we walk up the stairs Serena replies another time, "she's just a friend. Her name is –"

"YEAH YEAH A FRIEND IS ENOUGH INFORMATION" the lady interrupts.

We continue to walk up stairs. I feel tightness in the space, maybe because Serena's house is smaller or maybe because of the chaotic energy everywhere. The stairs end quickly, presenting three rooms close by each other. Serena walks straight to the one in the middle, the plastic bag brushing against her leg creates a loud crackling sound. She opens the door and a little boy greets us at the door. He waves happily at Serena and when his eyes land on me, he turns back to her with a confused expression.

"She's my friend. Her name's Alex. She came with me to help Sarah out" Serena explains to the child, trying her best to sound positive.

The boy nods and continues to play with his broken toys. Serena walks up to the sickly young girl, opening up the bottle of medicine.

"Hey Sarah, how are you feeling?" Serena asks her.

"Not good" she replies.