Eight

"I see why our dads loved Wafflehouses so much," I say as I shovel a bite of pancake into my mouth

"I see why our dads loved Wafflehouses so much," I say as I shovel a bite of pancake into my mouth. "These pancakes are the best thing I've eaten in a while."

When Emori doesn't respond, I can tell something's up. We used to talk about this all the time when we were younger. This was the one thing we've always wanted to do together. But now she's quiet?

"Emori, what's wrong?" I lay my fork down and turn to her. She never says what's on her mind. She always tries to avoid anything that could upset someone. It's great, in theory, but right now, it's annoying.

"It's nothing."

"It's obviously something," I say. If she at least says something, whether it's strained or not, maybe I could say it's about her dad. But this is about me. I can tell.

"All day, you've been pretending to be okay. Why not just let yourself, you know, be? You're allowed to not be okay." She takes a deep breath. "I know I sound like a hypocrite, but you don't have to pretend to be someone you're not."

"I just want things to be how they used to be." Does she not understand that? I feel like I've been telling her that over and over, but she still doesn't get it. No one does.

"But they're not, Tay. We grew up and you got in a wreck and Gavin is dead."

My muscles stiffen, and I sit straighter. "You don't have to remind me. I'm well aware."

"Then why are you so afraid?" She grabs my arm. Not harshly, just to make me listen harder.

"Of what?" My voice cracks on the last word. I swallow and look away for her, willing the dam in my eyes to stay put.

"Of letting him go. Of acknowledging that, yes, things aren't the same, but maybe that's a good thing?"

"You don't..." I stop and swallow again to collect myself. I should have known this would happen. Even when we were children, she was the one who set me straight when I was being an idiot. I hate that she has that effect on me. "It's hard to see someone you love like that. Gavin was... he was this giant, larger-than-life person that was always there. Always smiling. And to see him like that... just lying there, his eyes open, like marbles... you never get over that."

"And no one expects you to," she says. "It takes a while. I know that. You have to make them know it, too."

I hate that she's right. "Why do you always have to be right?"

She laughs. "It's me. C'mon." She wraps her arms around me and leans her head on my shoulder. "Now finish your pancakes. I'm gonna call my mom to give us a ride home."

---

When I hear the door to my room open in the morning, I groan and stick my head under my pillow. I know it's Travis, but after the events of last night, I'm not ready to talk to anyone. My fight with Emori was probably heard by everyone, and I'm sure it's already become the 'hottest' news at school. If I didn't like the pity before, I definitely won't now.